Solvent pop

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Solvent pop

Post by 1000179 »

Wondered if there's anyone in Devon area who understands paint faults and could maybe advise on a problem I'm encountering. Don't want to reveal facts on forum.
Thanks in advance
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Solvent pop

Post by les »

If you're not happy to disclose the issue here, maybe you could approach a local paint shop, or if the vehicle is drivable take it over for them to see.

GheeBhow
Minor Friendly

Post by GheeBhow »

Hi 1000179,

I'm not a paint expert, but I have suffered from solvent pop before (when I was using high build primer). Sadly I couldn't find any solution but to rub it back and start again. It happens when the top layer of paint dries too quickly, before the solvent below fully goes off. It's more common if you're spraying horizontal panels, or if you apply paint too thickly. And it's a massive pain.

Good luck getting it sorted.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Is it definitely solvent pop as opposed to micro blistering? Solvent pop would occur almost immediately after painting as it is part of the drying/curing process and is solvent trying to escape whereas micro blistering generally appears much later and is water/dampness trying to escape and sometimes is more visible than other times.
When were you first aware of the problem? Was it visible when the car was first returned to you? Has it become worse? What type (and make) of paint was used? Was a clear coat used on top? Has the car been covered since?

Maybe you'd be able to get a technical rep from the paint supplier/manufacturer to view the car and give his opinion. Good luck anyway.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Why the secrecy?

Rod
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Redmoggy wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:54 am Why the secrecy?

Rod
Possible litigation?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes that may be the OPs concern, however without facts answers may well be left wanting. If the 'facts' are indeed facts, (i.e. true) then there should be no comeback. To respect the OPs reluctance, anyone needing more info may be better asking by a PM.