Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Door alignment

Post by stag36587 »

I’m struggling with this a little. When my door hinge bolts are done up tight the door sits slightly too high in the door aperture so that the top of the window frame rubs the underside of the roof. If I loosen the bolts the door drops slightly and fits absolutely perfectly. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue and been able to fix without major surgery? I may be able to adjust window frame slightly but reluctant to do that if there’s an obvious solution. I’m not sure the hinge captive plates will fall any further inide the A post. Presume the countersink bolt shoulders are causing the problem? All views much appreciated. Thanks!
]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Door alignment

Post by kennatt »

try making some spacers to fit between the hinge and frame may work,
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Minor parts suppliers have special shims for this purpose. For example:
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/shim

Don
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

A word of caution , if fitting shims to the hinges. On no account should you remove all the bolts for an individual hinge without making provision to "hold onto " the captive plate that lurks unseen , behind the A post or B post. The "ledge " inside the door post frequently
rusts away completely and there will a thud as the plate drops to the base of the post. Major surgery / welding is required to get inside
the enclosed door post to fix the problem ! Avoid , avoid , avoid.

The link Don kindly flagged for you , shows a slot in the shim on both items. This will allow you to slip the shim behind the hinge without
removing one of the bolts , thereby keeping hold of the captive plate. Tighten enough to grip the shim but still allow movement. The remaining bolts can then be fully removed for installation purposes. If you make your own , either incorporate a slot or use a bent bit of wire coat hanger to "hook " the captive plate as you bolt back the shim and hinge.

Hinges bolts are often reluctant to budge , so a solid whack with a large hammer on the bolt head and application of releasing fluid a day or two before you start will probably be time well spent.
Once you're happy with the alignment , fully tighten all the bolts.
Good luck with it.
Bob
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Thanks guys for your replies. An excellent suggestion to use shim(s). And I’ll take extra care to stop hinge captive plates falling inside th A post!
]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Well I did a lot of fiddling last weekend and the door sits pretty well now, except for when the new door seal is also fitted. I have the green fabric type and the rubber does seem a bit hard - and the door doesn’t shut well near the bottom. I think there is a black rubber alternative which although not original I wondered if it might be more pliable/softer. Grateful for any views on that?
]
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Used a fabric ‘ type ‘ on mine and had the same issues you are experiencing . No amount of adjusting would enable the doors to shut without ( in my opinion ) excessive force ) . It started red but soon faded . Changed it for the black rubber style and now doors shut perfectly and no fading ( obviously ) .
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

You might have to 'set' the flange that the seal fits on. I did.

Alan
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

mogbob wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 pm A word of caution , if fitting shims to the hinges. On no account should you remove all the bolts for an individual hinge without making provision to "hold onto " the captive plate that lurks unseen , behind the A post or B post. The "ledge " inside the door post frequently
rusts away completely and there will a thud as the plate drops to the base of the post. Major surgery / welding is required to get inside
the enclosed door post to fix the problem ! Avoid , avoid , avoid.

The link Don kindly flagged for you , shows a slot in the shim on both items. This will allow you to slip the shim behind the hinge without
removing one of the bolts , thereby keeping hold of the captive plate. Tighten enough to grip the shim but still allow movement. The remaining bolts can then be fully removed for installation purposes. If you make your own , either incorporate a slot or use a bent bit of wire coat hanger to "hook " the captive plate as you bolt back the shim and hinge.

Hinges bolts are often reluctant to budge , so a solid whack with a large hammer on the bolt head and application of releasing fluid a day or two before you start will probably be time well spent.
Once you're happy with the alignment , fully tighten all the bolts.
Good luck with it.
Bob
MMOC Post Of The Week :lol: :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster