Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Corrosion in chassis leg near rear crossmember mount

Post by 936cbpminor »

Removed the master cylinder today to replace with an OE version and noticed corrosion within the chassis leg near to where the crossmember gearbox mount is secured. This appears to have captive nuts in the chassis leg with bolts from underside. I was considering making a plate to fit within the chassis leg with studs welded to the plate and secure the crossmember to this using nut/washer underneath. This I am hoping will spread the load over a wider area of the chassis leg.
1961 948cc Yukon Grey 'Her In Doors'
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Corrosion in chassis leg near rear crossmember mount

Post by les »

If the corrosion is restricted only to the captive nuts, a plate is an answer, I've fitted such a plate but have tapped holes to take the original set screws, (personal choice) The plate is a snug fit with a radius on the bottom edges to prevent any damage to the chassis. It does, as you suggest, spread the load, and it also, if well greased or waxoyled lasts better than the captive nuts.

936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

Thanks Les. I think I prefer your idea since it keeps it near original and may make it easier the crossmember was to be removed. Now to find a piece of plate....
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

Thanks Les. I think I prefer your idea since it keeps it near original and may make it easier the crossmember was to be removed. Now to find a piece of plate....