Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oiling/injecting underside - worth it?

Post by quee2646 »

Hi all,

I am considering getting the box sections injected with anti-rust goo and getting the underside Waxoyled. Currently, I avoid using the car in winter when salt is on the roads, usually waiting for a spring shower to wash away some of the grit; and I periodically (attempt to) rinse the underside with a normal garden hose, particularly in wheel arches, etc.

Has anybody had either of these done? If so, how often? Do you think it's worthwhile?

Thanks!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Re: Oiling/injecting underside - worth it?

Post by BrianHawley »

A lot of people swear by it and some restorers do it as a matter of routine (e.g. Charles Ware).

But if you have any welding to do, get it finished before wax-oiling. It can go up in flames!
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My 1958 Minor 1000 has been sprayed with waste oil and paraffin on a regular basis virtually from new both inside the chassis legs front and rear and underside and still has the original chassis legs and spring hangers.
The paraffin carries the oil down between the spot welds and into those hard to access areas.
Cheap and cheerful and effective.
It is most important to hose under the wheel arches especially in winter with the salt around. Make sure that the wing returns are free from mud and salt crud.
Phil

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Waste engine oil? Doesn't it just drop off?

Also, how often do people do this?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Only if you overdo it.
As regards the outside/underside of the car - best if the car has been undersealed as the oil/paraffin keeps the underseal soft and supple and stops the underseal completely drying out.
I used to spray the waste oil and paraffin as required which was about three times a year.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I spray black Waxoyl underneath and into box sections. It needs thinning for spraying and I use paraffin, often old stuff from parts cleaning and sometimes sump oil.

I aim to do this once a year preferably in the autumn. Doesn’t always happen though!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wouldn't have thought the box sections need spraying annually? Maybe the underside..............?
quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Regards spraying, do people have special kit for this? I'm trying to weigh whether I should do it myself or just pay my local to do it...
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The consensus after much discussion is that it is worth having a compressor and gun to spray protecting fluid, for example in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67922&hilit=Waxoyl

As for time intervals for spraying under and in boxes, once you have the old clothes on and filled the gun is there any point in not doing all of it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have always used a paraffin gun and compressor as it dissipates the oil/paraffin mix so that it works its way into the more difficult to access box sections.
Having the compressor pushes or forces the oil/paraffin mix along the box sections.
At either side of the inner rear boot floor are the open ends of the box sections usually blocked with foam. If you remove any blocking material and spray up into the box sections that will preserve the rear box sections and right along to the kick plate box sections.

quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

Thanks for all your suggestions - really helpful. And thanks for the link.