Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Where do I start?

Post by culp »

I have a 1970 Traveller called Florrie and oh boy! does she need a lot of welding. Here just for starters is one of the sills

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MP6CpvZeBMvV2C4u7
Just about everything you can think of that might need welding does.

What order do I work in? Just for the sills, I'm thinking....(I'm using the Morris Minor Center panel terminology)
  • Cut away outer cross member
    Cut away 1/2 Floor and inner sill step
    Weld in new half floor and inner sill step
    Cut away outer quarter panel (currently a horrible bodge of bent steel and angle iron)
    Cut away boxing panel
    Cut away inner quarter panels
    Weld in new inner quarter panels
    Weld in new boxing panel
    Weld in new outer quarter panel
    Cut away door hinge pillar cover panel
    cut away bottom of door hinge pillar
    weld in repair section to bottom of hinge pillar
    weld on new cover panel
    temporarily fit door and adjust hinge pillar (currently miles out)
    Weld hinge pillar to outer quarter panel
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Where do I start?

Post by philthehill »

Before you do any cutting away make sure that you have every thing braced and tight so it does not at worst collapse in the middle. :oops:
Taking time to bracing the body will pay dividends in the long term.
Do not cut away too much in one go - only cut away the minimum required to replace the particular panel/body section.
Playing the long game is the way to go ...……………. 8)
Phil

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

IMG_20180708_115832 (2).jpg
IMG_20180708_115832 (2).jpg (189.91 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
IMG_20180708_115832 (1).jpg
IMG_20180708_115832 (1).jpg (189.91 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

mut1a.jpg
mut1a.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1776 times

I've been wondering where to start, too. Might be worth getting 2 RSJs and welding some locating lugs on so you can jig it straight before cutting?
Cardiff, UK
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

So you are going with doing the floor first then the sills or vice versa?
david.heppell
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by david.heppell »

culp wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 am So you are going with doing the floor first then the sills or vice versa?
Just wondering if you'd managed to finish the floor replacement?
I'm in a similar situation now regarding a full floor refit so would be good if you/someone could provide an 'Idiot's Guide'!
Thanks in anticipation :-)
Traveller Twins - Maggie and Bess
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Hello,

I tried 2 different approaches on different sides the best was to:-

Cut away the outer undersill
outer-undersill-r-h-traveller-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p828399-2492_thumb.jpg
outer-undersill-r-h-traveller-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p828399-2492_thumb.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Then the boxing panel and boxing panel extension
boxing-panel-extension-r-h-traveller-with-hole-p828500-4133_thumb.jpg
boxing-panel-extension-r-h-traveller-with-hole-p828500-4133_thumb.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
boxing-panel-r-h-2-door-trav-conv-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p828492-2517_thumb.jpg
boxing-panel-r-h-2-door-trav-conv-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p828492-2517_thumb.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
The boxing panel extension is hidden behind the woodwork and I had the woodwork off with my car
The boxing panel needs to be cut clear of the floor edge panels but i left the edge panels in the car until later. The boxing panel is a swine to get out but if you systematically clean up the surfaces, then drill away the spot welds it does come out eventually. The boxing panel is tricky to get out from behind the A Post and B post. You may find you need to replace the bottom of the A-Post and B post as this can uncover rust or bodged repairs.

then reverse the order and tack weld the boxing panel and extension to the old inner sill step, to the inner wing at the front and back and to the A & B Post. Getting everything lined up. I did lots of door test fits to make sure the panel gap is right.
front-inner-wing-domed-full-section-r-h-p828414-1906_thumb.jpg
front-inner-wing-domed-full-section-r-h-p828414-1906_thumb.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Once that's in and reasonably solid you can cut away the floor. I used a half-floor
half-floor-r-h-high-back-section-without-inner-sill-step-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p1237071-5524_thumb.jpg
half-floor-r-h-high-back-section-without-inner-sill-step-lmc-hadrian-uk-made-p1237071-5524_thumb.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
but without the sill step which I fitted later.

cutting away the old floor to fit the new floor is a very difficult job and needs to be done very carefully to ensure a good fit. I butt weld panels which means the fit has to be extra good. The upright bit at the back of the repair panel from ESM I cut off as the rear seat box section was in good fettle. cutting this out also takes out the floor edge panel

Tack weld the new floor in

Next cut away the inner sill step and tack weld in the new one.

Once thats done you can consolidate the tack welds and get everything solid. I dont have a spot welder so I seam welded the boxing panel to the inner sill step

Next I turned the car on it's side and welded in new floor edge panels and then welded in the outer undersill.

It took me about 3 months of spare time to get that little lot done but as long as the doors still fit, the results not a bad-un
david.heppell
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by david.heppell »

Sounds like a plan! Many thanks for the steer, culp.
Traveller Twins - Maggie and Bess