By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

What are the Steps of painting .

Post by Sandun »

Hi

My friends ,

I have to repainting the wing , Because it was some damages - So i used sand paper and cut old paint . Now I dont know what are the next steps and - what i want , to do it . - i am going to pant only clean area . Please help - Many thanks .

Regards
Sandun .
Attachments
20180727_120614.jpg
20180727_120614.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 1047 times

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What are the Steps of painting .

Post by BrianHawley »

Hi Sandun.

You might want to think about painting the whole wing. If you paint just the sanded bit, it’s going to show, unless you get a perfect colour and texture match.

Are you using a paint gun or rattle cans? There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the best way to use each.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Redmoggy »

As Brian pointed out, painting the whole wing would give a better finish.

From where you are now though. You need a long sanding block and some 120 grit sand paper. Use the paper dry on the block to feather the entire area you have sanded with the grinder. You should be able to run the palm of your hand over the repair and not feel any lumps or bumps, the surface should also be uniformly sanded.

Repeat the process with 240 grit again used dry. When your happy you have removed the scratches from the 120 grit apply 2-3 coats of filler primer followed by a dusting of black.

Once the primer has dried sand the entire wing with 800 grit used wet with lots of soap on a flexible rubber block. Pay close attention to the black you dusted on the repair. As this sands it will high light any imperfections in the repair. Once finished you can spot prime and sand any areas of primer that are very thin or broke through.

Apply your top coat.

Rod
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi Sandun
You say there was damage that you have repaired, in that case you have to use a long block to prepare the paint on wing so that you can apply body filler and when its dry use the long block to sand down until it is smooth and the correct shape and you may have to put more filler in to get the shape.then sand down the repaired area with 320 grade paper plus a bit larger and as redmoggy says apply primer and spray colour on complete wing