Wing Mirror Position

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mikeread
MMOC Member: No

Wing Mirror Position

Post by mikeread »

Can any tell be haw far back the wing mirrors are located on a 1967 traveller and how far from the edge of the bonnet they are located ?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wing Mirror Position

Post by les »

Seven inches from the back of the chrome headlamp bezel, generally mounted on the highest part of the wing.

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

And I can’t see a thing through mine!
]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All that the wing mirrors do is create a place for rust to form.
The best mirror is one that clips on the window frame by the quarter light - no holes = no rust opportunities.

arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

I agree with Phil: I'm a firm believer in door/window mirrors.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Door mirrors have quite a different look to wing mirrors of course. Convex glass wing mirrors mounted on nice long stalks seem to be passable, but I find myself looking over my shoulder with door mirrors anyway!

Get some globs of grease or something like waxoil all over the bolt threads and inside the wing to stop it rusting!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

arjay wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 am I agree with Phil: I'm a firm believer in door/window mirrors.
Me too.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Me too... but NOT the ones that clamp onto the quarter-light glass... risk of window breakage if the mirror gets knocked, even by a careless pedestrian!
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

He just wanted to know the position!! :D

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
When the hole is drilled and the rust starts to take hold the OP may wish that they had not drilled the hole - better to warn the OP about the limitations of the wing mirror and the possibility of rust.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just a casual observance Phil, as there did seem a barrage of condemnation. I do think there are ways to prevent corrosion, grease springs to mind, if the original poster has set his mind on wing mirrors. Incidentally the measurement I quoted came from a casual conversation I had a few years back, with a guy showing his Minor, he seemed to know his way around a Minor.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It is up to the OP whether they fit the mirror or not but in my experience making a hole anywhere along the top of the Minor front wing is a bad move.
The main problem with fitting a mirror to the top of a front wing of a Morris Minor is that it is right above the wheel and gets bombarded with thrown water, grit and crud which will eventually remove the protective coating whatever it is.
Only vigilance of the applied protective coating to stop any water, grit and crud getting into and under the mirror stem will alleviate corrosion but it will get to the mirror and wing eventually.
Phil

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

philthehill wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am Only vigilance of the applied protective coating to stop any water, grit and crud getting into and under the mirror stem will alleviate corrosion but it will get to the mirror and wing eventually.
Phil
All assuming the wing fitted is not a plastic/fibreglass lookalike, of which we are not informed. :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, I like my wing mirrors - they look rather quaint and are very useful............and no rust (yet). Regards Phil's comments, one might say eternal vigilance is required to prevent corrosion anywhere on the car! A rusted out chassis is probably the number one reason so many have gone to the scrappie. :(
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have to say that around the wing mirror is about the LAST place the wings on my Minors have rusted.......
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

philthehill wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am It is up to the OP whether they fit the mirror or not but in my experience making a hole anywhere along the top of the Minor front wing is a bad move.
The main problem with fitting a mirror to the top of a front wing of a Morris Minor is that it is right above the wheel and gets bombarded with thrown water, grit and crud which will eventually remove the protective coating whatever it is.
Only vigilance of the applied protective coating to stop any water, grit and crud getting into and under the mirror stem will alleviate corrosion but it will get to the mirror and wing eventually.
Phil
I do agree.

A previous owner drilled my wing for a radio antenna and I’d love to remove it. But I would have to clean it, grind it, weld it, grind it, smooth it and then match the paint. A pain in the neck. Maybe a rubber plug would be best.

It’s a lot easier to make a hole than to remove it.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

I do gree about the holes Brian.
My new car has 3 additional holes cut in the dash for switches. A horn one, reversing light and washer jets.
With a bit of effort, these could have been alleviated, but i am going to either have to fill and paint the holes or use them for something else, probably the latter.
Quite annoying.
(Sorry for the thread derailment OP, i like the aesthetics of wing mirrors, as others have said, i'd sooner have concern about a rusty inner wing/chassis leg than a wing).
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I really don’t think that drilling holes for wing mirrors is going to lead to galloping rot if rustproofed appropriately... I tend to find that the holes in the wings that attract the most rust are those dirty great big ones at the front that someone frivolously cut out for some reason or other like headlights?! Getting rid of those would save some rust, but it does make night driving tricky.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The holes in the front wing for the headlamps are not the problem its what is put in them i.e. the headlamp buckets. The dirt builds up on top of the buckets and causes the rot especially if it contains damp salt.
Thank goodness for under wing shields on modern cars. :D

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

callyspoy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am My new car has 3 additional holes cut in the dash for switches. A horn one, reversing light and washer jets.
With a bit of effort, these could have been alleviated, but i am going to either have to fill and paint the holes or use them for something else, probably the latter.
Quite annoying.
Yes, I'm with you there. There is something irritating about destroying the symmetry of the SII and early 1000 dashboards when it is very simple to make up a bracket to take additional fittings. Unmolested dashboards on these earlier models are rare. I once had a 1956 1000 that had a hole in the dashboard for the washer button and I did fill that in, resprayed the dash and refitted the button in a home-made made bracket under the dash. My current car has the same hole/washer set-up but I haven't bothered to 'fix' it. :-?