suspension dimensions for Morris 1000 1967 2 door saloon

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jim.quackenbush
MMOC Member: No

suspension dimensions for Morris 1000 1967 2 door saloon

Post by jim.quackenbush »

I am at present totally confused by the data which is available concerning suspension---ie the workshop manual at page R.16 gives the front of the torsion bar as 10 and 11/16 with the rear of the bar the same(metric =271.500mm)---mine is 305mm a difference of 33mm---the front spring hanger at 10 and 9/16 (metric=262.00mm)---mine is 305.000mm a difference of 38mm---and the rear spring hanger at 15 and 7/16---the chassis rails here and the rear spring hangers are both unusable and no where near where they ought to be as very badly rusted so no measurement could be taken---as to the cross position from the vehicle centre line ,i can work this out from the lateral dimension over the rear spring hanger shackle pins so no problem there---so as my moggy sits about 36mm too high does anyone know what the measurement would be when the rear hangers are cut off just aft of the chassis thru bolt for the dampers---155 x 14 cross plies are on it---i hasten to add the moggy is a shell so no engine/gearbox/interior/doors boot and bonnet/and glass are all stored---i have calculated the weight of all these items and laughingly distributed various weights here and there to try and get the blasted thing to sit down---but like "shep" it keeps jumping back up !---boot floor and tank well sitting ok and fully repaired---so question is what is the height of the top spring hanger bolt ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: suspension dimensions for Morris 1000 1967 2 door saloon

Post by philthehill »

How long is a piece of string?
The measurements in Fig R16.are for a car in serviceable condition sat on a level surface.
The datum point measurements should be taken relative to each other and not their actual height from the ground.
I personally would concentrate on getting the body work repaired constantly checking that the datum points are still relative to one another.