Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Door catch

Post by Ian Jones »

Hello All

Problem with passenger door locking on my traveller. The door closes properly and locks but, when locked, if the door handle is operated, the door will open as far as the second catch but no further. When locked the handle moves the catch far enough to clear the inner position but not the outer. Hope this makes sense. The door fit looks good so I'm thinking that I'm looking at wear in the door catch mechanism. Thinking of simply shimming out the catchplate from the pillar but seems a bit of a bodge. Is this a common problem which already has a solution? What do the screws securing the catchplate to the pillar screw into? Can I safely remove them without something falling down inside the pillar?

Regards

Ian
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Door catch

Post by Monty-4 »

Has the spring behind the moving part of the latch on the pillar gone walkabout? This is the issue I had that caused the symptom you describe with yours - and yes the plate behind that will likely fall if both screws are fully undone.

I replaced my latch by removing one screw entirely and loosening the other so that I could rotate the latch enough to screw the new one into the empty hole, then removed the other and rotated the new part into place.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Re: Door catch

Post by Ian Jones »

Thanks for the reply. I've had another look and the spring you mention is fine. I think the problem is that the locking mechanism is worn which allows the handle to retract the locking bolt enough to clear the catch. The answer is to remove the lock and replace the worn bits. For now I've made a spacer and fitted it behind the catch to move it closer to the door. It works so will serve for now. More interested in driving than fixing while the weather holds.

Regards

Ian