Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

2 Door - window framing

Post by geoberni »

Hi All
When we brought 'Basil', one of the things I noticed was that 2 doors had 'Figure 8' type seals instead of 'letter B', i.e. the bulbous portion of the seal was on the end of the U shape channel, instead of being beside it.

So having got the right shape seal, I went to fit it and found another problem.

Although the Driver's door has plenty of gap around it to accommodate the new seal almost all the way around, at the rearmost top corner, the top of the window framing only has about 2mm clearance from the body metal; this might explain why the wrong (and utterly pointless) seal was on there to start with.

Is there a way to adjust the alignment of the window channel assembly, or is it a case of adjusting the whole door? :o
I just need that rearmost top corner to be a little further from the body.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: 2 Door - window framing

Post by geoberni »

Bump!

Anyone?
Must be someone out there that's had such problems, perhaps on a complete car rebuild?
Basil the 1955 series II

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

A photo of the door might help. Is the window frame bent?
Cardiff, UK
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

There is some adjustment of the door window frame (if that is what you're asking? Your request isn't entirely clear). Just slacken off all the fixing bolts (Factory workshop manual shows all positions ) and move the frame around to suit. Once in the best position just re-tighten.
You might or might not then have to adjust the door itself which is a whole new ball game......
You can also alter the position of the body flanges to which the draught excluder is fitted, just by bending it with suitable tools. This will open or close the gap between body and door.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi All

The window isn't bent. Now I've fitted the passenger side, I can say it's both doors. I have a horrible feeling that both doors have been installed the same way.
The area shown in yellow is significantly closer to the body shell than the rest of the door is; I suppose the bottom hinges could be too far out compared to the top ones, thus making the doors sit diagonally 'squint'.

At the moment, I've got both doors shutting fully by adjusting the catch striker plate out to it's maximum adjustment.
Door.JPG
Door.JPG (105.88 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Thanks for the answers, especially the bit about bending the flange; I hadn't considered that.

I'm going to see how it is after the doors being closed for a few days, and compressing the seal.
Basil the 1955 series II

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

At a guess I'd say the sills had been welded without bracing the door gap? Stick a straight edge under the B-post-to rear wing underside and see if it follows the line of the bottom of the door and the rest of the car. If not, the car has sagged at the bottom.
A solution exists for this.
Cardiff, UK