Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear window - stuck!

Post by acmsb »

Hi all

I'm doing some repair and restoration work to my 1969 Morris Traveller. A mix of big and small issues, of which this is probably the smallest (and so the most annoying!). The rear sliding window of the back on the passenger side is completely stuck. All the other sliding windows in the back (front and rear drivers side, front passenger side) are all fine (if a bit stiff). But this back one is wedged solid, and won't move a mm!

I've had a good look and can't see any apparent seizing/obstruction/reason. Has anyone else had this?

All thoughts very gratefully received!

Alex
simmitc

Re: Rear window - stuck!

Post by simmitc »

Very common problem. The channels in which the glass sits deteriorate over time. Moss grows. Gunk collects in the channel. The wood gets wet and swells, the frame moves. It all combines together to jam the window. You can try running a thin blade down either side of the glass, and scrape the centre of the channel, plus some lubricant and you might be lucky enough to get the window moving.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Re: Rear window - stuck!

Post by acmsb »

Hi Simmitc

Thank you for the reply - it's a relief to know that it's not just me! I will do as you suggest. Hopefully I will be able to coax it into movement!

Thanks again!

Alex