Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Water into numberplate lamp body.

Post by RobThomas »

It is beginning to annoy me. Every time I open the boot I get a trickle of water out of the fairlead hole that dribbles down onto the spare wheel clamp. Mayyyyyybe I should do summat about it? :evil:

It almost seems like the chrome cover is too tall or the glass lens too short so that the clamping bolt/nut doesn't hold the glass down tight enough to seal it. Sure, I could stuff some goop in there but....Grrrr.
Cardiff, UK
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Water into numberplate lamp body.

Post by palacebear »

Obvious question perhaps... are the lens and cover seating properly in the groove of the rubber base seal? Mine has a replacement (plastic) cover and the shape is just slightly 'off' hence it doesn't fit the groove all the way around.
1956 4-door called Max
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Rob

New seal: https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/ ... 3707-p.asp

or on ebay...

I recall there is also a rubber washer between the cover and glass where the screw passes through?

Or was it fitted on the stud under the glass, one or other should stop water getting in...

Taupe
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It is a new one, presumably made by slave labour in the Far East. The cover nut is way to narrow for the size of hole in the glass so I've sliced up some neoprene foam sheet to make a super-oversized seal to go between the glass and the cover. One wonders why they don't just make things the right size in the first place. The 'bridge' piece that the holds the thread is also way thinner and more wobbly than the Lucas one. Similar to those Indian chassis plates with all the spelling mistakes...why bother to make them if you can't be bothered to do it right.

Rant, rant, rant....off to work. :evil:
Cardiff, UK
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That's been my bone of contention, it must be as easy to make something right as it is to make it wrong. It's just a case of using different measurements !

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Rob - you're not alone...see this previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65863 I did have to use sealant in the end to stop the water.
Apart from things not being exact regards size/shape nowadays, the old original gaskets were in one piece. The new ones with the 'missing' centres are going to be more prone to leaking, especially if the fit isn't quite right. :(
rcharman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by rcharman »

RobThomas wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:53 am It is a new one, presumably made by slave labour in the Far East.
:P :P :P The pyramids were built using slave labour and they turned out alright, sorry Rob but I couldn't help myself. :P :P :P

Rod

From Australia