Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Daura58
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Correct Number Plate Style

Post by Daura58 »

Hi,

I have a 1962 Morris 1000 and it is need of new number plates. Firstly, are there any details, such as digit size or colour that i need to be aware of for the sake of authenticity? Secondly, where is the best place to purchase the plates? I have spoken to Ace Plates in Ireland, but they seem quite expensive???

Many thanks!!!!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Correct Number Plate Style

Post by ManyMinors »

A 1962 car originally would have had larger digits than a car from 1963 onwards because 1963 was the year which saw the introduction of a 7th digit. It will cost quite a bit extra to order plates with the larger digits so you have to decide if it is worthwhile to you. There is no legal requirement to have the larger digit. The Ace plates are probably the most expensive of all. I treated one of my cars recently to new plates ordered from Tippers Vintage Plates. They have a good clear website explaining the various options and I found them very helpful when I telephoned. I would recommend you have a look at their website but there are no doubt other options too. Personally I think the appearance of a good Minor is greatly enhanced by a smart pair of correct period number plates. Other owners will be less bothered.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Whereabouts are you?
I know that the Newark Auto Jumble has a Plate Supplier there every month (well the ones I've been to) so I guess other big Jumbles may have too.
https://www.newarkautojumble.co.uk/

There are of course several online suppliers of vintage plates.
Basil the 1955 series II

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

We have used Tippers as well, and also found them very good. The rear number plate on a Minor is slightly 'special' - it has no unpainted surround. Tippers will supply this with no problem.

This is the link to their website:
https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/ ... ent&part=2
Richard

j.davis200
Minor Friendly

Post by j.davis200 »

I recently bought a set from the MMC in Bath - I assume they get them from one of the regular suppliers but they were about the same price.

I chose 3 1/2 inch silver plastic digits - as my car is black with the contrast of the chrome trims, it looks good. The post 1963 type are 3 1/8 and don't look so in period, but if you have a suffix registration then that looks appropriate. You can choose white plastic digits, which look good on lighter coloured cars, or even very posh and pricey cast aluminium, but these would look OK on your Bentley, but a bit over the top on a Minor. Pressed aluminium one piece plates were also popular in period.

Look at photos online to see what style you like.

The rear plate is smaller than standard to fit in the recess, and gave me a little problem as it does not have a flange, therefore bolting it down flush would push the digits out of their rivets (you wouldn't have this problem if you choose the pressed aluminium type). I had to put nuts under the plate to hold it about 1/4 away from the bootlid, and sealed along the top with a trapped rubber section, but not all round as water would be bound to get in and rot the steel if it could not escape.

Reflecting on this, don't put on reflective or perspex - even the early reflective plates (about 1967 onwards) were aluminium with black separate digits, they look fine on later cars but I like the original look for the earlier ones

Whatever you choose, in between the plates is the nicest car on the road!