Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
silloyd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bonnet Anti-Drum Fabric

Post by silloyd »

After re-fitting my bonnet (after re-spray) I get some quite nasty vibrations / resonance at certain speeds.

I'm going to add some anti-vibration pads to the underside but one of the things that seems to be missing is the 'Anti Drum' fabric on the top of the rear brace. If you look at No. 5 in the picture below you can clearly see some sort of pad (my bonnet did not have this before I stripped it down). Can anyone tell me what material it should be made of, how thick it should be, size, etc., please?
bonnet+parts.jpg
bonnet+parts.jpg (443.08 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Bonnet Anti-Drum Fabric

Post by mogbob »

The original stuff ( probably horse hair back in the day ) is no longer stocked by the usual Morris suppliers as far
as I'm aware ( I stand to be corrected ! ).
Woolies , might be worth a go : - https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/987/felt
if you're looking something " original looking ". You could cut strips to length and width to fit from a meter length.
Another option would be closed cell foam but this would be more modern looking but might tie in with the sound
deadening pads ( black ? ) you are proposing to fit ?
Bob
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

You can use a piece of felt, about 1/2 inch thick. Measure the gap between the bonnet and strut to get the exact measurement then add a bit. It can be glued in place. Any similar material with a bit of 'give' would be suitable.

silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Thanks both for the prompt replies.

I am going to use thin black sound deadening pads (not overly concerned about originality), so based on your comments I'll try some left over rubber backed felt underlay that I've got. It's about 10mm thick so worth a go.

Thanks again!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.