Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bob.williams
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller Roof

Post by bob.williams »

Hi I am new to Morris Minors and this Forum
Have a problem with my new Traveller.
The roof has blistered. Many micro blisters. They are larger on the aluminium section but are also present over the steel cab. Believe the blisters might be due to damp when sprayed?
We think the best way to cure is to get back to bare metal before respraying. The rubber jointing strip is a worry. Not sure how this is fixed but we think some of the internal lining will need to be removed to get below the strip. Any advice would be appreciated.
It is a shame as the car is otherwise in exceptional condition. Fortunately bonnet etc. are not affected, (so far!)
Bob Williams
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller Roof

Post by ManyMinors »

It will be a fairly big job to remove the rubber strip. As you suggest, the strip is a seal between the front (steel) cab and the rear (aluminium) roof panel. You will have to release the headlining to access the joint. You do this by removing the capping piece which covers the join between the front and rear headlining sections. This is held in place by about 4 screws. Once this is out of the way you'll see the tacks or staples which secure the headlining in position. You'll need to remove these and probably remove the upper seatbelt mountings and the wood cappings the seatbelts are fitted through. With the headlining released you should be able to see the row of bolts which go through the rubber seal and secure the rear roof section to the front. I think from memory you will have to remove these bolts to release the rubber seal which should then come out fairly easily without the need for much further dismantling.

To deal with the microblistering you will have to remove all the damaged layers of paint at least and it might well be easier to simply remove ALL the layers back to bare metal. As an alternative and to save a great deal of work, it might be worth trying to remove just the affected layers of paint and leave the rubber in place. You would have to experiment a bit and see. Sound original paint might still be present beneath the microblistered layers on top? It does seem common for Travellers to suffer from poor paint adhesion on the rear aluminium roof section particularly.
bob.williams

Post by bob.williams »

Thanks ManyMinors
My painter is an old guy that does classics as a side to his main painting business in the winter when his regular work eases off a bit. My Morris 8 Tourer was booked in but I have pushed the Traveller in before it.
The options were to flatten and seal but there is no guarantee that this will be successful or strip down to bare metal which is what we think will need to be done. Great care is needed on the aluminium.
I have printed your post and will pass on to my painter
Thanks again
Bob
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

You might also find it helpful to check out the Wheeler Dealers renovation of a Traveller:-

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gz6tb