Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Headlamp Peak

Post by alawrence10360 »

I recently ordered some bling for my saloon. Its not a standard minor so I didnt think it was to sacrilegious.
I fitted one peak but could not keep it fitted as I cant believe they are legal.
Having been involved with kitcars and SVA in the past you should try and keep sharp edges that could injure pedestrians to a minimum. I am aware that older cars do not generally comply to these standards however I couldnt in all conscience fit something as sharp as these items . I have a Stanley knife which is not as sharp !
Perhaps there are safer items out there as these just cant be right.
Attachments
20190210_113308.jpg
20190210_113308.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 892 times
simmitc

Re: Headlamp Peak

Post by simmitc »

If you search for this subject, there are loads of people who agree with you entirely. Some like the peaks, but many others brand them as dangerous, There's no definitive answer, just some strong views. I am of the opinion that a pieces of sharp metal protrouding from a rusty wing or door bottom sould fail an MOT, so why woiuld a knife mounted above the headlamp pass? I suspect that you have opened the proverbial can of worms.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I’m inclined to agree that they are dangerous.

Anybody passed an MOT with them fitted? Anyone been pulled over?

But not so dangerous as the vertical number plates we used to see on the front mudguards of motorcycles. Those things were lethal.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Putting this suggestion out there as an alternative...

If you want headlamp peaks (personally I dislike them), try finding out if headlamp rims from either a Riley One-point-Five or, if you can find them, a Mk1 Austin A55 will fit. (The later B-Series Farina ones definitely don't match the Minor's wing profile). They came from the factory with 'bright-plated hooded headlamp cowls' (publicity description). They must be the same diameter and I'm pretty sure they have the same fixing. They have a less pronounced peak; they don't protrude as far, and are blunt-edged.

Downside is they're cast Mazak not chrome-on-brass or stainless, which makes deterioration/pitting more likely and re-plating more costly.
20190211_100910.jpg
20190211_100910.jpg (121.03 KiB) Viewed 818 times
1956 4-door called Max