Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Sockets for centre dash grille

Post by niftyrodman »

Has anybody a suggestion as to what I can use to secure the posts of the chrome piece in place on the back plate? How did they attach originally.
Thanks.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sockets for centre dash grille

Post by simmitc »

Which year car? Do you mean the chrome pieces that stick out either side of the speedo? On the later ones these had studs that were then secured by nuts behind the dashboard. The chrome pieces act to retain the dimpled ally sheet that surrounds the speedo. Any spanner/socket/pliers that fits the nurs will be fine.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I initially thought it was those chrome pieces being asked about but as it would be obvious that nuts secured them, doubted these pieces were the subject. I’m still unclear, hopefully it will be clarified. :D
Unless some of these chrome strips had just spikes rather than a thread, in which case would need those clips that push on to secure?

niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks for replies. The Minor is a split screen highlight circa 54, and above the Choke,Headlights,and Starter knobs, and Key switch, there is a chrome grille. Either side of it are two longer chrome pieces. Behind these knobs there is a panel, and Im not sure whether that panel was or came from the factory painted gold matching the backing of the instruments and the glove box lid Thanks for your help Also may I add,.Maybe the panel in behind the chrome, had sockets in the dash for the pins on the chrome section to fit into .The panel however I believe was bolted to the dash.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for clarification, my vehicle is a later model so I’m not familiar with the ‘54.