Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

UFN 456 bootlid and lock

Post by gtt1951 »

Folks, I managed to get the "later" doorhandle out of the earlier (low-light) fitting and got the key number off it.
Bought keys and, although the keys work the boot handle, they don't work the door locks in the replacement doors (this will be another topic).
Having removed the botched boot-handle escutcheon (held on with 2 very long set screws and nuts - had to grind down the outside edges of an old 3BA spanner to get it through the central hole), I've found that the original threads (2BA) have been virtually stripped.
How to fix this?
Do I put a dollop of weld in each hole, drill out and re-tap or is there something else I can do, like going oversize?

The inner plate with the threaded holes is fixed to the inside of the boot skin and cannot be removed.
I do have 2 spare correct boot handles with working locks and keys that I was going to fit in place of the botch (these are the earlier locks where the fixing bolts pass through the escutcheon).
George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: UFN 456 bootlid and lock

Post by RobThomas »

Might it be possible to get some braze in the holes? Might be able to them re-tap the holes to 2BA.
Cardiff, UK
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Rob and Taupe,
Both these suggestions look good. However, during the hot spell, this afternoon, I did a bit more tinkering on the car and, on closer examination of the "holes" saw some remaining thread. The 2BA bolts from my high-light had just dropped straight past (as did the other spare boot-handle's fittings).
If thread was present and the 2BA bolts just dropped in I thought that, maybe, this particular boot-lid might have different thread sizes (given all the other botching that the previous owner had done to this car), could be that earlier low-lights, had different threads.
I tried 1 BA and M5 (both these being the next size up with similar pitch).
Guess what? The M5 set-screw/bolt fitted, although the remaining thread, in the boot-lid, did "cut" the thread slightly (on the "peaks") of the offered brass bolt.
The M5 screw/bolt also goes through 2 of the versions of the escutcheon plate, but not the one that the car came with (which now seems to be a version that works only with the locking bolt mechanism of the non-original handle).
I may need to post a question on the MM forum about the sizing of the fixing bolts on early MM boot lids.
I will also need to get counter-sunk chrome plated cross-head M5 set-screws to fit the replacement handle to the boot-lid, provided that M5 is the correct size.

Thank you both for supplying possible solutions,
George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.