Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering Wheel (again!)

Post by viewsonic1 »

Hello. I've re-furbished a steering wheel for my 1967 four door saloon and now wish to replace the one on the car with it. On removing the horn push, I'm faced with a shaft and spring held on with a circlip, obviously part of the horn mechanism.
My question is, do I need a deep socket to remove the steering wheel nut and clear the spring, or do I have to dismantle the mechanism? (I'm not sure what would happen if I removed the circlip).
Many thanks.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steering Wheel (again!)

Post by ManyMinors »

I just use a standard socket from my socket set. I've never needed to disturb the horn contact although you could remove the circlip if you wished. Nothing worrying will happen if you do - just make a note of how it should be re-assembled. If you use a socket to remove the nut it is best to either remove the horn fuse or pull a wire off the horn otherwise it will probably sound when you short the live wire to earth with your socket :o
Also, make sure that the steering wheel is centralised when you pull it off the splines otherwise your replacement will be mounted off centre.
DON'T fully remove the securing nut and then pull/tap the steering wheel using great force. If you do, it will suddenly release and likely hit you in the face :cry:
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering Wheel (again!)

Post by viewsonic1 »

Thanks for this ManyMinors. The steering wheel on the car at the moment is off centre and has always bugged me! Also, valuable safety advice there so many thanks for this. :D