Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller lock/ handle

Post by Mike Shipman »

I am in the process of swapping over the rear doors as the existing are pretty rotten. I was removing the locking mechanism on the r h door to put into the replacement, I removed the 4 guides which the lower and upper bolts slide in, then the 4 interior screws on the inner part of the lock then the two holding the handle externally. I had expected the handle to then be free but it was not. There is a large screw head that runs through the lock to handle which probably needs to be removed but 1. It is seized and 2. It looks like the whole mechanism would come apart if this could be removed.
Has anyone encountered this and has any advice?
In the meantime I’ve put copious amounts of wd40 on it hoping that this will help, I’ll leave it till tomorrow to try again.
Thanks for any info / suggestions you may have.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller lock/ handle

Post by ManyMinors »

You have to remove the screw in the rear of the locking handle, as that is currently holding the handle in place.
Even when you HAVE removed this, it isn't unknown for the square shank of the locking handle to be corroded into the mechanism.
WD40 is not a very effective penetrating oil. I would suggest Plus Gas or similar. If that doesn't work, you might be able to use heat or you might have to drill it all our as I had to on mine.......At least, doing that, I was able to salvage the locking mechanism and just had to purchase a new locking handle.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, remove the central screw, a good soaking with Plus Gas and then heat. Assuming that you can get the screw out, then (having removed the glass!) lay the remains of teh door down and support around the lock area. Use a drift and hammer to try and drive the shaft out. If all else fails then carefully drill the shaft and buy a ndew handle assembly. Be careful to not over-drill and round off the square socket where the shaft fits.
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Thanks for those comments and advice, must get out and get some Plusgas!
Mike Shipman,
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Tried the Plusgas, the screw started to move....but just sheared off. I e tried drilling out the screw part, partial success but I think the square bar of the handle is rusted into the outer sleeve of the handle/ lock.
Pondering on trying the “heat” but don’t want to burn my shed down!
Perhaps a replacement is due....🤔
Mike Shipman,