Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Glove box lid clips

Post by cadetchris »

I’m reinstating the inset style glove box lids to my car, but it appears I am missing the little clip that’s fixed inside the glove box at the top.
I’ve looked around and it appears they are either like hens teeth or people a just bolstering prices to say that. I saw a pair on eBay for £45, which to me seems a little steep.

So have people made there own catches or get rid of them all together and gone down the route of magnetic clips etc from the later glove box flaps?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Glove box lid clips

Post by geoberni »

cadetchris wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm I’m reinstating the inset style glove box lids to my car, but it appears I am missing the little clip that’s fixed inside the glove box at the top.
Is there supposed to be a clip????

I thought the clip was on the door and it just clipped onto the edge of the hole...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67533&hilit=glove+box+doors
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Depends on the style of the lid. The earliest ones for the 1000 did have the clips in the surround and a little indent in the lid into which the clip part snugged into when you shut it. The door in your link is a later design regards securing shut (and also has a chrome surround not on the earliest lids).
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

Mine has the chrome surround and it does have a clip on it, but I would of thought that they would have a corresponding clip just underneath the top lip of the glovebox hole.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Exactly. That IS what it should have. :wink:
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

cadetchris wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm I’m reinstating the inset style glove box lids to my car, but it appears I am missing the little clip that’s fixed inside the glove box at the top.
You're not 'reinstating' them though, are you, because I thought you'd established that your car would never have actually had them fitted due to its age? Could that be why you're not seeing what you expected on the car itself?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

You are almost certainly right 'liammonty'! :wink:
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

You know, that sounds entirely plausible as all I have to go on is the two doors I bought, each with a roller clip on the top and a hole where they should go. So I assumed that they had to have a corresponding clip on the car, which I simply didn’t have.