Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Problem panel

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I don't know if anyone has encountered this before but I seem to have an issue with the later gearbox tunnel cover that I intend to fit to my 1954 series 2.
It's not major, nothing I can't sort out with the aid of my grinder and a welded in patch but it's not something that I have seen or heard of before, relating to the position of the slots for the clutch pedal and brake pedal.
The slot for the brake pedal lines up fine but the slot for the clutch pedal is cut too far over. What puzzles me more is that this was sold to me as a secondhand 'used' panel (it had a lot of 'gunk' on the underside and surface rust on it that spoke of prior usage and had to be cleaned off / rubbed back and treated - then a coat of satin black paint applied, before I would fit it), so not a new one cut wrong??................... Images below (roughly positioned to show problem).............
Like I said, I'll sort it, however does anyone have any comments / has someone encountered this before?
Best wishes,
Mike.

Problem panel 1.JPG
Problem panel 1.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1169 times
Problem panel 2.JPG
Problem panel 2.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1169 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Banned User
Minor Fan

Re: Problem panel

Post by Banned User »

I'm not sure if it's the angle that the picture is taken from, but in your second picture the clutch pedal looks incredibly close to the brake pedal?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You are fitting a gearbox cover that was not intended to fit the earlier clutch pedal arrangement.
The earlier pedal arrangement used a cotter pin to secure the clutch pedal to the shaft.
The earlier and later clutch pedal arrangements are totally different and that is why you have the mis-alignment of the aperture for the clutch pedal.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

About the same time the body was altered for the new dash and grill the clutch pedal was moved to the outside of the chassis leg, rather than inside as on your older car. This isnt a structural panel so its fine to just cut out the necessary area to allow your clutch to work!

Too many Minors so little time.....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for your replies, very interesting, I didn't realise they'd moved the position of the clutch pedal, that explains it then.
I'm not sure if it's the angle that the picture is taken from, but in your second picture the clutch pedal looks incredibly close to the brake pedal?
In the second picture I'd let the (disconnected) pedal rest on the floor, so it only appears to be tucked behind the brake pedal, optical illusion. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Exactly what the other guys said, the pedals were moved further apart when the 1000 appeared because of criticism that both pedals could be caught when you only wanted to press one. I remember it happening when I had a Series II.