Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Castanley
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Split-windscreen rubber seal replacement

Post by Castanley »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could offer their thoughts on this?

My Series 2 Moggie has a couple of leaks along the bottom of the windscreen rubber which need sorting out. Now I suppose one option would be to lever up the seal a little and splurge some silicone sealant underneath but I think I'd rather do the job properly and replace the complete surround. Also the inner and outer rubber strips from the centre bar. I found the replacement seal on the ESM website, however it had a note of warning on it which I quote:

"Screen Rubber-Front (Split-Screen Models) *** Please note, replacing the screen rubber on a split-screen car is not a DIY job and should only be undertaken by experienced fitters with the necessary equipment. It is typically a 5 hour job! ***"

That sounds a bit daunting considering my assumption that it looked simpler to replace than the later one-piece windscreen! So my question is, has anyone attempted this job and do they agree that it's a nightmare which is best left to the professionals?
All advice appreciated. :D

Chris
"Gussie", the 1954 Series 2.
My blog: https://castanley.wixsite.com/mysite

MMOC member
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Split-windscreen rubber seal replacement

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Never had a split screen out but I will say don't use silicone sealant. Use 'Screenseal' from Wayside Adhesives. It's butyl-rubber based and ideal for classics.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
At some stage I will be needing to take mine out, so I invested the slightly smaller sized glass available from ESM along with a full set of rubbers.
Long term I intend to use these as a template for getting some laminated ones made from a glass supplier local to me, I don't fancy a shattered windscreen in the face........
However I am going to make a note of Jowett's 'Screenseal', as I won't be doing this straight away and I could use some as a temporary fix, as well as generously applying it when I change the screen.
As to refitting the screens themselves, I have been advised that it is at minimum a two man job, possibly three (which is where I am hoping the slightly downsized screens will help make matters easier). I have already sounded a friend out who is also into Morris Minors.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

do a search on here many,many topics ,and various ways of doing it,not many pro screen fitters will attempt it

It's regarded as probably the worst job to do on a splitty apart from under body welding,but if the leak is just in the corners a,common fault, would suggest that if the rubbers are in reasonable condition try to seal it, the new rubbers do not fit very well to the frame and glasses and are very poor copies.The best way is to use a proper screen sealant various on market,but do round the whole frame from the inside,if you lift the rubber from inside you will see that you can get the nozzle of the sealant gun up to the edge of the frame where the rubber is supposed to sit . a good bead of sealant under and all round and when lip is realeased it pulls back onto the frame and seals all round. You can then clean off the excess.If you do decide to try to replace do not under any circumstances damage the chrome finisher THEY ARE UNABTAINABLE and when they do come up on E Bay the go for very high premium. And are difficult to refit properly if they get damaged or twisted.
Done mine three times ,respray .,perished rubbers and broken glass,Did it myself, do a search in bodywork for the definitive splitscreen fitting.my post about halfway through .good luck
Last edited by kennatt on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Further to this, some more thoughts entered my head. If the original rubber is useable and not completely perished, re-use it. A little perishing on the visible exterior parts is acceptable, the important bits are the glass channels and flanges. Similar to what kennatt alludes to, the reproduction rubbers are a very poor fit. So keep the original if its serviceable.
My Series II used to leak a little at the corners, but my Morris Oxford MO was as dry as a bone inside, then again it was a vastly superior car.
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

Thanks for the great replies, some very useful info there.

With regards to the chrome inserts, one of mine is missing and the other is in a pretty poor state so I'm doing without for the time being. The existing rubber doesn't look perished at all, it just allows a trickle of water in the left/passenger side lower corner and also at the bottom of the centre pillar.
On reflection I might get hold of a tube of that Screenseal and give it a good bead of that all the way around. I think that might be the best call!

Much appreciated,
Chris.
"Gussie", the 1954 Series 2.
My blog: https://castanley.wixsite.com/mysite

MMOC member
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Seal rubber to body and glass to rubber while you are at it.Using silicone sealer causes corrosion to the window apeture.