Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Front wing/light thread type

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't think it matters too much what thread BMC used originally in production as the wing pictured is a modern Taiwanese copy. Your guess is as good as mine as to what thread they use :wink: ......
Banned User
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Banned User »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 am I don't think it matters too much what thread BMC used originally in production as the wing pictured is a modern Taiwanese copy. Your guess is as good as mine as to what thread they use :wink: ......
Did the original (genuine) part have captive threads fitted to fix the headlight bowl?
Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

Did the original (genuine) part have captive threads fitted to fix the headlight bowl?
That would be interesting to know wouldn’t it?

I think I’ll go 2BA as anything metric wouldn’t feel right!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, the original BMC wing did have captive nuts in that position. Like every thread in the Minor's bodywork it would have been a BSF thread - the same as That used in the door furniture etc. I was simply guessing that on the aftermarket panels the manufacturer might not have followed that same rule and that could why the captive nut has come adrift - somebody forcing a screw into an incorrect thread in the past. The pattern wings are not made to a particularly high standard in my experience but if you have one in reasonable condition then you might as well use it and do the best you can with it.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Thanks MM
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

My '55 SII lamp Bowls/Buckets are pop riveted in place... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Naturally, very few of our cars are still to original specification after all these years. Does it matter? To some owners it does and to some it doesn't. Many owners (and garages!) have simply done whatever they could - often with limited resources - to keep the cars on the road :wink: It is easy to forget that our Morris Minors were all considered worthless old bangers at one time and many were kept roadworthy on a shoestring.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 am Naturally, very few of our cars are still to original specification after all these years. Does it matter? To some owners it does and to some it doesn't. Many owners (and garages!) have simply done whatever they could - often with limited resources - to keep the cars on the road :wink: It is easy to forget that our Morris Minors were all considered worthless old bangers at one time and many were kept roadworthy on a shoestring.
Basil has 1 metal Headlamp Bowl and 1 plastic one, so possibly had some donor wings from different cars.... who knows... :)
Basil the 1955 series II

Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

And I thought this was going to be simple question with a quick answer!

Seeing as 2/3rds of the nuts need replacing anyway I thought I‘d use the correct factory threads. I’m personally after a working car that I’m not afraid to use rather than anything period correct

My 1000 was my only car for quite some time so I understand how ‘keep it on the road’ repairs happen!

Many thanks for all the assistance and replies. A great help.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Would Rivnuts work for you?
Matt531
Minor Friendly

Re: Front wing/headlight thread type

Post by Matt531 »

Would Rivnuts work for you?
I don’t have the equipment for rivnuts so It’ll be easier for me to just tack weld new nuts on.

I’ll post when it’s done. (Could be sometime given work and children!)

I’ve just amended the thread title to include ‘headlight’ for ease of searching and future reference.