Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Matt531
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front wing/light thread type

Post by Matt531 »

Hello everybody, does anyone know what thread the captive nuts on the front wing are which hold the front lights on? I've a wing which is in reasonable condition other than the captive nuts which are no longer captive and have the threaded section of the light fitting screws still in them! I'm happy to weld some new nuts on but could doing with knowing the original thread type.

Thanks all, and a merry Christmas before it's too late.

Matt.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front wing/light thread type

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Matt,
5/16th BSF thread, from what I can find.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The 5/16 bolts hold the wing to the shell. The lamp mounting bolts are smaller, I’m not sure exactly what thread but I replaced my rusty ones with m6 stainless screws and nuts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

These are what you want for securing the front wings:-

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... e-p1238419

The part number of the screw holding the side light in place is AJD1943Z. The nut is part number AJD8054N.

Both ESM and MOSS now list the screw/nut as screw and spire nut.

I would try a 2BA screw in the thread (which is the same as the hockey sticks).

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Doh! :roll:
For some reason I thought the poster was on about the wing rather than the headlights...………….
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The OP is talking about both the wing fixings and the lights.

The BMC parts list is not clear as to the part number for the Head lamp bowl fixing screws.

There is a part number quoted against an illustration number but the part/illustration is not shown so I cannot confirm that the bowl fixing screw is the same as quoted/listed in the BMC parts list.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Another point worth mentioning here is to use plenty of copper grease on all the threads to prevent them rusting up solid.
We've all been there...............
Best wishes,
Mike.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... hBT&adurl=
(Wonderful stuff.)
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

We all seem to think that he's asking a different question. I thought he wanted the thread for the bolts that hold the headlight bowls? He didn't mention the wing fixings?
Matt531 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:04 pm which hold the front lights on?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

No mention of head lamp bowls in the OP - just wings and lights.

I have referred to the side light bolts/screws and that there is a part number (Pt No: AJA508 screw/27H5354 nut) for the headlight bowl securing bolts but no cross reference to illustration as the part/screws/nuts are not shown.

Unfortunately the size of the bolts/screws/nuts is not given in the BMC parts list but I have given a suitable guestimate of the threads.

As my post above ESM and MOSS now only list screws and spire nuts.

The OP now has information as regards wing/light fixings - you cannot have too much information even if it is not utilised. !! :D :D

You can get a repair panel for fitting the head lamp bowl but it does not have any fixed nuts:-
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/rim-headl ... soc=139060

Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

Many thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify it is the lights to wing thread which I was querying.

I’m not keen on welding a new nut on of the wrong thread and then needing to lop ‘em off when I discover I can’t fit a light in whatever I’ve welded on.

2ba sounds correct: my vernier measures it at 0.1835 to 0.1850, the larger of those being the major dia’ for 2ba? If 2ba was used for other bits of trim such as the hockey sticks that fits also. It’s in the range of m5 at that diameter but I’m guessing that this wouldn’t be an original fitting if so?!... I will measure the tpi if I can motivate myself to go outside to the garage.

I should get hold of a thread gauge really. Although (asking slightly rhetorically) would BA fittings be covered by a standard-ish gauge?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The BA (British Association) threads are still measured by the TPI (Threads Per Inch) x dia.
If you have not one already the ZEUS engineering booklet is a must.
img038.jpg
img038.jpg (446.7 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
The BMC spares catalogue lists screws and nuts for the light fixings so indicating that there are no fixed threads attached to the inside of the wing for attaching the headlight bowls or side light bodies.
You therefore may be attaching captive nuts which were not as per original.

The headlight beam alignment adjusters have screws and nuts which whilst attached to the headlamp bowl protrude through the rim of the headlamp aperture in the wing. Are you getting the two fixings mixed up?

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

philthehill wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm No mention of head lamp bowls in the OP
I know, I just assumed that he meant headlights as he said front lights.
Matt531 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 pm Just to clarify it is the lights to wing thread which I was querying.
Which lights?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Surely it has to be the headlight mounting as the OP mentions the screw thread in a captive nut. It is only the headlights that have a captive nut isn't it.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

ManyMinors wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm Surely it has to be the headlight mounting as the OP mentions the screw thread in a captive nut. It is only the headlights that have a captive nut isn't it.
That was my thought, I think Phil is getting confused by mentioning the wing fixing which the op doesn’t mention. Only lights to wing fixings are mentioned in the first post.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I an not getting confused - I have mentioned both the headlight bowl and side light fixings with the official BMC part numbers for the screws and nuts for both.

Plus I have shown the link to the repair panel available for attaching the headlight bowl to the wing which only has plain holes and no captive nuts.

To repeat myself - there are no captive nuts mentioned or shown in the BMC parts list only screws and nuts.

Neither MOSS or ESM list screws/bolts for fitting into captive nuts only screws and spire nuts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Sw-IhduFTi

The only captive nuts shown in the BMC parts list are those fitted to the headlamp bowl which contain the headlamp bean adjuster screws.

A photograph of the screws in question would be appreciated.

Phil

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Calm down Phil, it’s ok to be mistaken. Hopefully the op will come back to clear things up. Until then we’re all guessing.
Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

Maybe these photos will help clarify. As you may be able to see amongst the underseal and surface corrosion on the rear of the wing there are captive nuts in a cage for the front light fitment. Well, they’re no longer captive but spinning around!

I assumed these nuts and cages were an original fitting, but maybe not? The car is a ‘57 1000 but whether the wings are original or how much fettling they’ve had in their life who knows?

The 5/16 bolts holding the front wing on came off no problem. The wing which presented a problem was the nearside rear where the bolt nearest the front of the arch snapped, the one with no real access to behind the inner wing!

Hopefully the photos clarify things for everyone...

Many thanks, Matt.
Attachments
A50BA206-6590-4F61-A79F-CFB29965D0E6.jpeg
A50BA206-6590-4F61-A79F-CFB29965D0E6.jpeg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
DE441116-DE57-46CC-BA91-113A62C67029.jpeg
DE441116-DE57-46CC-BA91-113A62C67029.jpeg (168.62 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
712B3601-996E-4BBF-966C-87D90D0935F4.jpeg
712B3601-996E-4BBF-966C-87D90D0935F4.jpeg (405.31 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Thanks Matt, as I thought.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Those are either 2BA or 3/16 UNF cant remember which...

taupe
Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

Many thanks folks.

I calculated 32tpi or thereabouts so, yes, 2BA or 3/16" (number 10?) UNF is possible. My vernier says the major diameter is closer to 2BA but it's quite a rusty thread so accuracy isn't going to be great. At some point I'll try a nut on the thread that's left and see what threads on, that's if I can find a thread of either size in the garage somewhere!

Happy new year.

Matt.