Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine Paint Colour

Post by philipkearney »

The pale blue does look particularly well in black cars, contrasts well with the dark engine bay.

It also makes a change to hear people questioning the blue paint rather than the exact shade of green !
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The only down side is that now the Blue engines have received so much press, plus having been 'accepted' as an 'official' engine colour, everybody will be wanting one..... :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basil's engine is green, although the paperwork trail I inherited said it was a 'Gold Seal'... from having changed a leaking Core Plug last year, I can confirm there was gold paint around the Plug edge, but someone clearly didn't like the gold.
Perhaps the accessory bits were green so they repainted the whole thing to match.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I can confirm there was gold paint around the Plug edge, but someone clearly didn't like the gold.
Now you mention it, I can't remember the last time I saw a Gold Seal engine at a rally, proudly displayed with the bonnet up......
And I don't think I've ever seen a Silver Seal one at all............
Shame really, as they are (or were) part of our motoring heritage.
As an aside my Dad had a Gold Seal engine fitted to his Morris Marina, the one I was passed, as my first car.
MBY 601P now long gone I suspect.......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I fitted a Silver Seal short engine to my A35 years back.
The main difference between Gold Seal and Silver Seal engines was the amount of new parts used. The Silver Seal engine was mainly made up of reconditioned parts.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I have just bought a Gold Seal 948 I am cleaning up, sorting out and putting in my Smoke Grey Traveller. That will look fantastic against the light blue body, much better than drab green.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have just bought a Gold Seal 948 I am cleaning up, sorting out and putting in my Smoke Grey Traveller. That will look fantastic against the light blue body, much better than drab green.
I shall look forward to seeing it in place, with your bonnet up. :D
The next time we are allowed to have a National that is.......
2021?? Fingers crossed.
Best wishes,
Mike.

PS: Now we just need a car with a Silver Seal engine to go with it....... Do any still exist?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Thanks Mike, I am looking forward to it. In the meantime it's a nice winter project to be ready for next year.
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:25 pm PS: Now we just need a car with a Silver Seal engine to go with it....... Do any still exist?
My Rose Taupe Traveller still has its silver seal engine!....It runs really sweet :D :D

I have no plans to paint it bronze green or deep bronze green...My other traveller however will have a green engine once I work out if it is the light or dark version that I need?

Taupe
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

My Rose Taupe Traveller still has its silver seal engine!....It runs really sweet :D :D
I shall look forward to seeing it at the National in 2021 then, assuming it's not one your rebuilding?
I think it will be the first time I've seen a Silver Seal unit 'in the flesh', as it were.
It would be good if yours and Jowett's were able to park side by side, to display both Gold and Silver Seal Units together but that would be down to the organisers I suspect, though both are Travellers........
Best wishes,
Mike.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Looking at Jowett Javelin's engine photos I think we are pretty 'close' but I have chosen a gloss finish over matt which makes a visual difference.

JJ - your car appears to be from late '54 to '56?

If that is the case then blue engines make an appearance more than once across the Series II production.
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes it was a 1956. With hindsight gloss would have been nicer but I think matt was just how it came when I ordered it online, as it had to be heat resisting of course.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a variation on the Blue.............. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-minor ... NF1feHwzon

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That is not an 'original' colour, 948's were always green. Not sure what the seller means by Blue Riband engine either, as that is what the Humber Super Snipe Mk. IV 4.1 litre engine was called.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Blue Ribbon is an engineering/reconditioning company located on Pershore Road Birmingham. The 948cc engine in the link appears to have been reconditioned by Blue Ribbon.
Way back Blue Ribbon was (and may still be) a well known engine reconditioning company.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

philthehill wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 pm Blue Ribbon is an engineering/reconditioning company located on Pershore Road Birmingham. The 948cc engine in the link appears to have been reconditioned by Blue Ribbon.
Way back Blue Ribbon was (and may still be) a well known engine reconditioning company.
They were indeed. Their reconditioned engines were a popular (and cheaper) alternative to the "Gold Seal" engines produced by BMC. It was this competition that led to the alternative "Silver Seal" alternative which had a lower specification and lower price.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philthehill wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 pm Blue Ribbon is an engineering/reconditioning company located on Pershore Road Birmingham. The 948cc engine in the link appears to have been reconditioned by Blue Ribbon.
I remember them, so I just looked them up. Company was dissolved in 2007/8. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II