Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Windows steaming up.......

Post by Owlsman »

Rather than hijack an existing thread where this topic has been raised, I'm just raising it as a separate issue here.

As others have commented, whenever I too put the heater on (standard factory installation on a '62 saloon) at this time of year, the front windscreen mists up quite badly, followed by all the other windows, including the rear screen. The heater demister vents seems to achieve the opposite of what is intended.

is this a common problem? If so, is there anything that can be done to prevent it? I presume opening the quarterlights and/or windows would help but again that seems contrary to what I want to achieve i.e. make the interior of the car warmer.

Thanks, in advance as ever, to y'awl.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Windows steaming up.......

Post by myoldjalopy »

It doesn't take much to steam up a Minor in cold weather, with a full complement of passengers. If the car is kept outside, cold, damp air can leave condensation in the heater which evaporates when the heater is turned on. Have a window open when you first set off and try closing it when the heater is warmed up properly to see if that improves things. I assume the hoses are OK and no slight leaks from the core?
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks for the response. My car is garaged, albeit unheated and it steams up with just me in the car.

As far as I know, I have no leaks in the heater system and everything seems tight and secure.

I'll try the open window 'trick' the next time I take it out.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Do you have the heater fresh air intake (below the heater) open? It will mist up if fresh air cannot be drawn in to the car. It isn't as effective as the intake on the later cars but is better than nothing. Otherwise, you will have to resort to opening the quarterlight which is what I do. It IS vital that there is no dampness inside the car and that the matrix is working correctly.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Ours is in a heated, dry garage, but once outside in cold damp air the inside of the front screen mists up very quickly. A heated front screen is the sure way of preventing condensation on the inside of the screen. Not cheap, and needs a relay and additional heavy duty cables to feed it, but it works very well indeed!

The relay is fed from the ignition switch to avoid the screen being left on by mistake - with a 13A draw the battery would get flattened quite quickly!

We fitted the later full fresh air heater and that seems to keep the rest of the car reasonably condensation-free.
Richard

Matt531
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt531 »

Does the car see any use in the rain at all? Is it maybe worth a thorough dampness check around the inside? I have a mini which used to mist up a lot due to general dampness (as opposed to actually being wet) inside. That combined with a human breathing out plenty of water vapour and the car windows would mist up quickly in cold weather. The mini was cured after having panels replaced with less holey ones...

Our current family Berlingo can mist up too, damp children, damp clothing and everyone breathing soon has it misting up. Again, the boot seal is slightly compromised and can let water in also...

Breathing less whilst driving may help too.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Avoiding moisture is nigh on impossible at this time of the year when the air itself is so humid. I find having the quarterlight open a little draws enough air across to clear the screen without losing too much warmth.

On the rare dry bright days I leave the car open to ventilate.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As Basil is a SII, there's no luxury of fresh air with the heater, but I find I can clear the internal misting easily with heater blowing and 1/4 light open.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks for the info/tips guys. Why didn't I think about breathing less, whilst driving? :D

The air vent flap is on the 'winter setting' now i.e. closed so that's the first thing I'll try, by opening it. My 'winter-setting' routine also includes turning on the heater valve on the block and slightly letting out the seatbelts! I have static type belts which, with thicker winter attire, need adjusting a bit. :D

My car only sees rain in case of dire emergency or accident and having had all the carpets out, to put some sound-deadening felt on the floor and the bulkhead, I know everything is bone dry inside.

The heated front screen is the obvious ultimate solution but I'm not sure I could justify the expense or trouble of having one fitted. Do the other windows still steam up though? The car is only used in winter (and mostly in summer for that matter) when I've come up with an excuse to have a run somewhere when the weather is fine and dry. :D

It's of some comfort to find that this problem is not exactly uncommon and can be listed as one of the quirks of Moggy motoring.

I will open the air vent flap and/or the quarterlights and breathe less. I'll try and update after my next run out...…….but if you never hear from me again, you'll know I overdid the breathing less bit, passed out and ran off the road :D :D

Seriously though, thanks all for your input.

Alan
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

the quirks of Moggy motoring
Probably more the quirks of 1950's technology motoring. The Mini was even worse for misting up in the 60's! Once Ford developed 'through flow ventilation' in the Cortina, the misting problem was really resolved.
Last edited by IslipMinor on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Yeah, you're probably right about the technology of the period. One of my first cars was an already aged Triumph Herald and that was always steaming up. Mind you, I could never stop water getting in via the front screen rubber, so the carpets in both footwells were nearly always soaking wet.

Funny you should mention the 'Airflow Cortina', as my dad had one of these and I remember Ford making a really big thing in their promotion and marketing of this car, about this revolutionary 'flow through' ventilation system! I think all it consisted of was 2 ball-type air vents at each end of the dashboard and a little grille-type vent on the outside of the rear pillar so that fresh air could, almost magically, 'flow' through. How times have changed, eh?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

My car is also a ‘62 with the same heater set up as yours. As ManyMinors says, opening the fresh air flap by pulling the knob out, together with opening a quarter light, should keep the screen clear once the engine and car has warmed up - mine does in all but torrential rain. A chamois demister sponge kept handy is useful for the first few miles until the car has got some heat into it though.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I have an old book from the 60's that recommends always having the two back windows ever so slightly open to prevent misting up, and getting headaches while driving.

There are also various window sprays readily available that are meant to help prevent condensation forming in the first place.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Funny you should mention opening the 2 rear windows slightly, because my car is fitted with a Webasto-style sun roof and that's what I have to do to avoid the 'booming' and allow air to flow through the car. Come to think of it, opening the roof in winter, would stop the misting up but I'd have to put my thermals and balaclava on. :D

I haven't had the car out for ages to see if the misting up isn't quite so bad by using the fresh-air vent and/or quarter-lights. If fact, the car is virtually 'land-locked' at the moment......I'm having a new garage roof fitted so the car is on the drive surrounded by piles of wood and tiles :(