Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MichaelBeck
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front Wings & Sealer

Post by MichaelBeck »

Hi All

When putting the front wings on should the wings be bolted metal to metal and the gap between closed off with sealer or should the sealer be put on before the wings?

Whats the modern equivalent sealer to use?

Thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Front Wings & Sealer

Post by ManyMinors »

The earliest cars used a plastic wing piping the same as used on the rear wings but that was deleted during Series11 production I think.
After that, the front wings were fitted as you suggest and simply bolted on before a sealant being used to fill the gap. Make sure you leave the drain hole clear though!
There are SO many different sealants available now that it is hard to know what to use. On my car, after I had attended to any rust, I primed and painted each flange and then bolted the wings on tightly. Then I used a decorators caulking which is water based and readily available. MUCH simpler and cleaner to apply than tiger seal or similar. While applying, you simply clean off any excess with a damp cloth. I did wonder at the time whether it would stand up to outside use but it has done. Once dry, I simply painted over it when I spray painted the wings and it has done a great job. Other owners might prefer a different method but that has worked fine for me.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I used a tube of black Gutter Seal in a caulking gun. Wipe the excess off with a white spirit soaked rag.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
MichaelBeck
Minor Friendly

Post by MichaelBeck »

Do the wings get bolted metal to metal before sealer?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:43 pm The earliest cars used a plastic wing piping the same as used on the rear wings but that was deleted during Series11 production I think.
After that, the front wings were fitted as you suggest and simply bolted on before a sealant being used to fill the gap.
Any idea why the front wing piping was discontinued? My car is one of the last to have had it fitted and I can't see that bolting the wings on and then applying sealant is an improvement....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would think it was simply a cost cutting measure?
With a plastic piping, the wing has to be fitted loosely prior to the painting process. Then, once the body is painted, the piping has to be inserted and trimmed and after that, the wing bolts would have to be pinched up tight - another process.

With a sealant, the wings are bolted in tightly prior to painting and then the sealant applied. Then the body goes to be painted. Job done.

One small advantage with the later method is that the drainage holes possibly work better than if the piping runs along the whole length of the wing?