Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Spring hanger front corrosion

Post by mowogg »

While do some servicing I have noticed a small amount of bubbling under the front of the spring hanger front bracket. I have poked around with a blunt screwdriver and it looks like a little corrosion to the floor probably to trapped water.

You cannot fully see it from the top due as it falls where the panel for the sear sits on top.

My optimistic view is I can weld in a localised repair on top of the spring hanger? I cannot see any issue with the spring hanger itself so I am hoping I can cut away the section and weld in a new piece. Obviously have to cut the seat base to get access and then remake

Am I being too optimistic? Looks quite a job to replace the whole section and potentially not required. Looks like corrosion from the top
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spring hanger front corrosion

Post by Murrayminor »

I'm working on that area of my minor and noticed someone had done the same on mine, unfortunately they plated over the rust which in turn caused more issues.
I would suggest catching the rust now and making sure it has all been eradicated.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Thanks for the note. Yes keen to get to the rust so it can be removed before welding ina new piece.

If course I might find more as I investigate.....
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

mowogg wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:05 pm Thanks for the note. Yes keen to get to the rust so it can be removed before welding ina new piece.

If course I might find more as I investigate.....
Oh I know full well the finding more rust upon investigation scenario :cry:
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Oh I know full well the finding more rust upon investigation scenario
If it's any consolation, so do allot of us.......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

In that area, the corrosion nearly always starts from above - inside the car - and is usually caused by a leaking rear window rubber allowing water into the car and under the rear seat where you barely notice it..... As you say, the only proper cure is to remove the rear seat support, or part of it at least and get to the problem from above. Once you've done that, you need to protect the repair from further corrosion and stop any water getting in.