Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richie B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

rear spring leaf numbers

Post by Richie B »

Just wondering about my old springs, only just noticed that one has five leaves and one has six. ( I am fitting new ones)
Any ideas why??
Sorry cant upload picture :cry:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: rear spring leaf numbers

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Richie,
Out of interest is it a saloon or traveller?
The saloon originally had seven leaf springs, which later in production were changed to five. The traveller kept seven leaf springs.
One possibility is that one side got a bit flat, so a previous owner changed one (unless you've miscounted the leaves, which can happen).
Another possibility is that someone has removed a leaf from one of your springs to try and even out a miss-matched pair, hence your counting six leaves instead of seven on one side.
Personally I would only change them in pairs but that's just me.
Whether you then would change them (on a saloon) to a pair of five or seven leaf springs would depend on how firm a ride you are after. I believe the leaves are thicker these days.
As an aside, I believe some have changed out the seven leaf springs on travellers for nine leaf ones, which, I think, were originally meant for the van.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Hi Mike
Thanks for info. I knew I had missed something. Clarence is a 1962 2 door saloon. I have a set of new springs 5 leaves ready to go on soon (fingers crossed)
In fact looking at the old springs one leaf is actually thicker than all the others?
Thanks again
Richard
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Richie B wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 pm In fact looking at the old springs one leaf is actually thicker than all the others?
Quite possible - who knows who had the car in the past and what they did......especially with a modest little car like the Minor. Plenty of owners find they have to 'undo' all sorts of bodges and dubious 'improvements' that have taken place over the last 50+ years! :-?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" I have a set of new springs 5 leaves ready to go on soon (fingers crossed) " , sometimes it's better the Devil you do know....

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for info. I knew I had missed something. Clarence is a 1962 2 door saloon. I have a set of new springs 5 leaves ready to go on soon (fingers crossed)
Replacing the springs is just a matter of methodical stripdown, cleaning and repainting (if necessary / if you choose to) and reassembly.
I would check the droplink to the rear shock absorbers whilst your at it, they are not expensive and this would be the time to replace them and refurbish the shocks if you need to. I would also recommend replacing all the rubber bushes with poly ones (I use green - it's not too hard), as they are of much better quality / durability than the modern rubber ones you can buy.
I simply supported the rear of the car on a builders plank, picture below, just ahead of the front spring mounting, which gives you complete access to work, which in turn makes this allot easier (the front of the car is on stands too, so it is level).
The jack was just 'in position' but not supporting anything, as an extra failsafe. Though it was not needed and the car never 'moved' during the whole process.
You'll be fine.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Old 803 axle out.JPG
Old 803 axle out.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 994 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Mike,
Im replacing most things on the car. Nearly completed all the welding at the back end then replacing axle shocks etc. My car is supported much the same as yours.
Thanks for advice and encouragement
Richard
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Mine was originally equipped with 7 leaves. I didn't realise at the time and bought a new pair of 7 leaves, it is then that I found out the originals were of a thinner material.
I fitted the new (7) leaf set but found them very firm and have since removed 2 leaves from each which has helped considerably.

Alan