Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Molly123
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller sealant

Post by Molly123 »

Hi
The sealant between the woodwork and panels on the outside of my traveller is very irregular, and I want to tidy it up. Any suggestions as to the best way of doing this? Is there a coloured sealant on the market to Improve the appearance?
Seth
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller sealant

Post by MattsGPOvan »

I have not got a Traveler but I would use a Bitumen based sealer that remains a little flexible.... just used the stuff for a Summer house under the Roof tiles.
As for coloured Sealer have a look around your DIY places.

Email ESM .... They have restored many travellers. ASK for Steve .

Or my old panelbeater workmate Paul in the Workshop.

Cheers Matt.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks Matt.
I’ll email esm. It only requires a very thin bead in most places, but it will show, so colour is important.
Seth
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I would be interested in what ESM has to say as my Traveller needs re-doing as well. It was originally done with Dum Dum Putty but that is no longer available, for health reasons I believe. I came across Sugru for the first time on another post on this Forum (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71979&e=1&view=unread#unread) and wondered if that would work.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I too do not have a traveller, but I would look at using something like this.
plenty of colour choice
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colour-Masti ... a7b25c221d
Basil the 1955 series II

Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Biggles1957 »

I have found Stixall to be excellent for this sort of thing. It comes in a cartridge but for fine work I fill a syringe and use that. Black, white, grey and clear are available. It's similar to Tigerseal but cheaper. Cleans off with water before it cures. It's an EDPM rubber I believe so stays slightly flexible after curing but adheres extremely well to most substrates. I used it on all the rear glass of my traveller
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I'd be a bit wary of diy shop sealants as these are usually silicone based, which can cause problems for any painting needed in the future. ESM do a strip sealer of similar material to DumDum - this is good for initial fixing of the panels to the frames but would not be easy (or pretty) to use as a remedial filler.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Mark Wilson wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 pm I'd be a bit wary of diy shop sealants as these are usually silicone based, which can cause problems for any painting needed in the future. ESM do a strip sealer of similar material to DumDum - this is good for initial fixing of the panels to the frames but would not be easy (or pretty) to use as a remedial filler.
The one I linked to is acrylic.
silicon and solvent free and suitable for all joints with a dilation of up to 15%. colour-sealant is also paintable after curing and rainproof after approximately 1 hour.
Basil the 1955 series II

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

3M has a product very similar to Dum Dum.

Don
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm

The one I linked to is acrylic.
silicon and solvent free and suitable for all joints with a dilation of up to 15%. colour-sealant is also paintable after curing and rainproof after approximately 1 hour.
That sounds like a good find, thanks.