Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Door Card Fixings.

Post by geoberni »

Hi all
When we brought Basil (SII, 2dr, 1956) he had been through various repairs/restorations over the years and the interior is quite new looking. Unfortunately, whoever did the interior decided to secure the door cards with around 20 brass screws.
DSCF8105A.jpg
DSCF8105A.jpg (161.53 KiB) Viewed 706 times
They also have a sheet of foam behind the covering, hence the padded look.

I'm looking at restoring a more 'original' appearance, possibly using the same coving if it will stretch enough once the foam is removed.
But I have a question about the retaining clips.
All door cards advertised seem to have holes in them where each clip goes, yet the clips themselves seem to hook over the cards....

This Newton's page
https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/mo ... oor-panels
says
The 2.4mm hardboard has all necessary holes punched out ready to accept the fixing clips, door pulls and winders.
Yet the clips they show on that same page appear to hook over, not go through any holes. :-?
Just how are the cards on saloons/travellers supposed to be fitted?
Thanks
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Door Card Fixings.

Post by philthehill »

The door card holes are slightly off centre to the hole in the door. The clip does fit over the edge of the door card hole and then the door card clip with door card attached is pushed into the hole to secure. So all is hidden and looks neat.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

A picture paints a thousand words. Hopefully!
It is a shame that Newton Commercial insist on selling a colour and style of trim for the Series 11 which bears little resemblance to the original :(
Your door pulls are somewhat higher up the door than they should be :wink:
Attachments
Door trim clip.JPG
Door trim clip.JPG (264.65 KiB) Viewed 686 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 am It is a shame that Newton Commercial insist on selling a colour and style of trim for the Series 11 which bears little resemblance to the original :(
Yes, and a pity they don't do the correct material in their headlining for SII cars as well :(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks guys.
As MM says, a picture paints a 1000 words. I hadn't considered that the clip would hook into the hole, I'd assumed they clipped over the outer edge. :oops:

You're of course right about the door pulls, well spotted!
I noticed when comparing to other cars that they looked a bit high and rearward, there is also a slight difference in position between the two doors.... Having taken the drivers door panel off, I've found the original holes in the door, just not used.... :roll:

I shall get some clips, do some measuring of the relative positions and set about drilling out some holes in my 'cards', which appear to be standard 3mm hardboard.
Thumbs1.jpg
Thumbs1.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Basil the 1955 series II