Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Molly123
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Locking petrol cap

Post by Molly123 »

I’ve purchased a locking petrol cap for my traveller, and can’t work out how it fits. I’ve attached a pic. The base part fits over the petrol pipe ok, but the two small screws connect to thin air! Any ideas?
Cheers
Seth
A52AD9FF-153B-4D67-AF53-EE07AEE59600.jpeg
A52AD9FF-153B-4D67-AF53-EE07AEE59600.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2008 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Locking petrol cap

Post by ManyMinors »

The 2 screws should grip the side of the filler neck. You remove the original cap and firmly screw the new base ring to the filler neck as tightly as you can. Then fit those screws and tighten them. Then the new cap should fit into the ring :)

The screws don't fit "into" anything but they should grip the sides of the filler neck/tube.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks MM. I’ll give it a try.
Seth
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

...and I'd have a look at the " breather " system on the cap , mine needed a small hole punching in the seal to allow pressure to escape...

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Seth,
I have one of these too, this is it fitted:
DSCF3599.JPG
DSCF3599.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1947 times
It grips really well, so no worries there. Also the screws are covered by the cap, so they are safe from any 'tampering'.

Hi John,
The below picture is of the inside of the cap. I have to admit I assumed it would 'breath' okay but whereabouts do you think we should drill a small hole then?
DSCF3600.JPG
DSCF3600.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1947 times
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There should be no need to drill any holes.
The cap should be vented.
To confirm suck on the inside of the cap and see if there is any resistance. May be easier if the cap is fitted to the removed pipe fitment.
Not only is it important to have a vented cap to allow any pressure out of the tank - it is important to ensure that air can get into the tank otherwise the pump will create a vacuum and fuel will not be able to be drawn forward to the pump/carb.

Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks all. Now fitted and all ok.
Cheers
Seth
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Mike
I found the fuel sender weeping , eventually traced it to pressure build up , took the filler pipe off and pressurised it ( lung pressure ) and nothing was going to give...took the sealing ring off the cap and put a couple of small small holes in-line with the vents...
2020_0607petrolcap0005.JPG
2020_0607petrolcap0005.JPG (425.61 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Job done , as the temperature rose you could hear the pressure venting , in a reassuring kind of way...

John ;-)
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

How is the ring supposed to seal to the neck, ours had a similar design but used to leak there so i replaced it with a standard cap I wonder if there was a seal or something missing.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Sorry , I can't remember how it sealed...

Seth?

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I found the fuel sender weeping , eventually traced it to pressure build up , took the filler pipe off and pressurised it ( lung pressure ) and nothing was going to give...took the sealing ring off the cap and put a couple of small small holes in-line with the vents...
Job done , as the temperature rose you could hear the pressure venting , in a reassuring kind of way...
Hi John,
I got the reply below from the seller on eBay, regarding these caps, however if in practice you have found a problem then I am going to take note / action myself. My car is on stands being rebuilt at present, so I have not run it with this cap, since I fitted it after taking the engine out (she had a standard non-locking cap before).
Best wishes,
Mike.

eBay
New message from: ame353 Top Rated Seller(42,870)
Product Information - Vented Cap Type for a Tank that Requires Ventilation through a Breathing Cap This product is produced in Europe by an ISO accredited OEM manufacturer. It is a direct replacement for the original in either locking or non locking format. the vented part is in the green part of cap, tap cap off and run car as maybe an airlock in the system
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

I've had mine for a while and as well as the non-venting , cannot order or get a spare key cut for it , have resorted to buying what looks like a cheap " blue " replacement from Bulgaria to do some non-destructive? testing to try and remove the key mechanism....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADBLUE-Truck ... 2749.l2649

Will update as and when....

John ;-)
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Well that didn't take long to arrive from Bulgaria....the down-side is that the key profile although looking the same is totally different , as is the sealing washer ....and to top it all it won't fit in the filler pipe fitting.....

No useable parts , destined for the dustbin....

Moral of this story , learn from others mistakes and don't waste your money

John ;-)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

:cry: .
You could have got lucky...