Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Waterproof glovebox liners

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I spotted these and thought they may be of interest to some on here.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Swkvhd65qA

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Waterproof glovebox liners

Post by geoberni »

They clearly don't quite understand Moggies enough....
****PLEASE NOTE ...THESE ARE BASED ON THE LATER MOGGYS AS PICTURED..(i.e full depth right across at the back....).... BUT SHOULD FIT JUST ABOUT ALL OTHERS TOO......
But then they admit...
........but basically..if your moggy has the wiper motor under the bonnet,and not under the dash these should fit fine.....
So yes, Minor 1000 only
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've refurbished my glove box liner but if it ever gives up the ghost I might contact them and see about getting one made.
I should imagine they are pretty much fit and forget, since they won't disintegrate if you screen leaks.
Mind you if it does you need to fix that too........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, its a bit odd - they seem to be designed for owners who can't be bothered to stop the windscreen leaking! :roll:
Perhaps they make waterproof carpets as well! :lol:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

:lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As an update to this:
I acquired a pair of these, to replace the glovebox liners in Elsie May, as her originals were completely knackered.
They required some adaption to fit, namely they weren't quite wide enough (a rubber insert solved that one) and, of course, I had to create the cut out for the wiper motor, which is located under the dash on the drivers side on early cars.
Initially they served their purpose very well.
However, after only a few months in place, the other day I needed to take the drivers side out to access and replace a windscreen washer pipe......
To find they had gone stiff and brittle. Needless to say the insert broke up in the process.
(I subsequently found that the passenger side one survived removal better, only breaking up slightly, where it had been screwed in place.)
I didn't realise my heater was that effective! :roll:
Bearing in mind they were only installed in March this year, this is not really what I was expecting......
So I have bit the bullet and bought an original style pair from Charles Ware.
To (hopefully) keep them from getting wet through (I have also since found that my windscreen leaks -- another thing on the 'to do' list) I split a plastic lamination sheet in half and glued one half to the top of each insert (as shown in the pictures below), folding it over the back and gluing that in place too. This has the added bonus of covering / sealing the split down the centre on the top of each lid, presumably leftover from the earlier gold faced dash cars, whose passenger glovebox lid is released by a chrome button on top of the dash.
Needless to say these fit quite well, a little tight on the corners, requiring stretching into place but otherwise okay, though the screw holes are not an exact match on my car.
C'est la vie.
Anyway, lesson learnt, I won't be buying those plastic inserts again.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 1.JPG
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 1.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 740 times
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 2.JPG
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 2.JPG (937.02 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 3.JPG
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 3.JPG (594.12 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 4.JPG
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 4.JPG (612.17 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 5.JPG
Morris Minor glovebox replacement 5.JPG (563.02 KiB) Viewed 740 times