Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Colour?

Post by mattyguk1 »

Hi all, I have a 1970 4 door saloon that appears to be pale blue. I’m guessing it’s actually smoke grey but we’re any other light blues available on a 1970 saloon?
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Colour?

Post by SteveClem »

Could you put a picture up? That would help.
Lots of cars have had colour changes over the years.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

No other light blues were offered as standard by the factory at that time but as already pointed out, it could possibly have had a colour change at some point. Smoke Grey was strangely named and would be described by most people as a light blue.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That's right, smoke grey is to all intents and purposes blue, but with all the exhaust smoke and tobacco smoke around in those days that's probably how the colour got its name.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It depends on how pale it is, a late registered Bermuda Blue is also a possibility. BB is certainly light when compared to Trafalgar Blue or Teal Blue.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Bermuda Blue (OR Teal Blue come to that) wasn't offered on 4door saloons though :wink:
Bermuda Blue was only offered on very late Travellers - after saloon production had ceased, and is the colour specified for the Police "Panda Cars". It was not a civilian option on the Minor saloons however - despite being a 1960s BMC colour - and was originally offered only on the Austin A60, A110 and Riley 1.5.
The car could have been resprayed in any colour at some later stage of course.
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Sorry for the late reply and thanks, I think somebody has given it a cheap spray job that looks lighter than the interior at some time which is now peeling off! The interior is original though so I’m going to re spray it in the smoke grey.