Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

'anti drum' door brackets

Post by markattard »

Found this bracket inside my split screen front door, it has rubber attached to the tip, apparently to cut vibration sounds from the outer door skin.

however it does not touch the skin at the rubber end! is this the way it should be or is there something missing?
Attachments
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 'anti drum' door brackets

Post by geoberni »

It just so happens that I have my Drivers Door card removed.
Here's what I've got in my SII.
I can't guarantee the doors are the originals, since when I got the car, 3 of the 4 items of glass in the 2 doors were etched with a late sixties registration, so had been donated. The donor car was also black, so no way to distinguish.

Looking at that gap, I doubt it's supposed to touch.
20200712_173701.jpg
20200712_173701.jpg (566.03 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I believe Mk 2 Jags had something similar, which did come into contact with the door skin and, in the long run, caused it to rot through at that point, as it trapped moisture.
So maybe it's just as well there's a gap........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

geoberni wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 pm It just so happens that I have my Drivers Door card removed.
Here's what I've got in my SII.
I can't guarantee the doors are the originals, since when I got the car, 3 of the 4 items of glass in the 2 doors were etched with a late sixties registration, so had been donated. The donor car was also black, so no way to distinguish.

Looking at that gap, I doubt it's supposed to touch.
20200712_173701.jpg

thank you so much!!
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:50 pm Hi,
I believe Mk 2 Jags had something similar, which did come into contact with the door skin and, in the long run, caused it to rot through at that point, as it trapped moisture.
So maybe it's just as well there's a gap........
Best wishes,
Mike.
thank you I'm also thinking its some kind of crash buffer?!!!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

markattard wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm
thank you I'm also thinking its some kind of crash buffer?!!!
About the only good it might be is to stop a small dink to the middle of the door breaking the drop glass if it were lowered at the time.
It does seem to be quite valueless at first glance.....
Any collision to the side isn't going to be stopped by something that small....
Basil the 1955 series II

markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

yes I agree just on ocd approach for something that could happen one in 10 million lol
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that it has nothing to do with the outer door skin but is related to the inner door skin.

I am of the opinion that the anti drumming door brackets are there as an absorber of the inner door skin resonance. That is why it does not touch the outer door skin. The bracket just hangs there and vibrates counter to the vibrations of the inner door skin. It acts in a similar way to white noise. The rubber is the counterweight and being rubber and dense is a good absorber of resonance.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

By Jove Phil, I think you may well have it.
That sounds perfectly feasible.
I'm not sure the actual inner skin would resonate as such, due to all the cut outs and bends in it, unlike the outer skin, but it could well be an overall door resonator suppressor. Certainly a better proposition that any other suggestions.
Basil the 1955 series II

markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

Sound deadening doesnt work exactly like that but who knows what was the science about it back then!! :) :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

markattard wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm Sound deadening doesnt work exactly like that but who knows what was the science about it back then!! :) :D
Exactly.
From the same era, look what happened to DeHaviland and their Comet experience.
You'd think anyone would know about the structural stresses of squared windows....., but in fact, the 'square windows' took the blame unnecessarily.
It wasn't the design of the Square windows that was the fault at all. If was the manufacturing process.
The square windows got the blame because of testing/investigation errors following the crashes.
There's a brief 11 min video on it here if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rvx-r2itrE
If you already know about the crashes and the blame being on the square window design for the past 60+yrs, you can skip to the 7 minute point....
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The bracket does not deaden sound. The problem is the drumming/resonance of the panel which is completely different to noise.

The bracket does not appear in the BMC 1/4 ton commercial parts catalogue.

johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

Its sole purpose,for which it is brilliantly designed ,is to get in the way and annoy you when working on the door interior .it is best fitted in the box where you keep one day parts ,that is parts you are going to replace one day when you can remember where they go.......
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi some modern cars have lumps of heavy metal bolted to panels to stop unwelcome noises intruding into the car .One i remember was an audi TT with one bolted to the rear panel behind the bumper ,another one bolted to the bulkhead of a Honda, one like a round rod in rubber mountings on the front panel of a ( I think ) toyota. So your theory has some credence there Phil