Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Mark on bonnet

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi All
I came to wash Audrey this morning and found this
20200724_185629.jpg
20200724_185629.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1154 times
.It in the middle of the bonnet.Its about the size of a 2p piece .What id like to know is what can i do .Is it best to pick off the "bubble"or should i paint over it with a touch up pen.Audrey is a 1967 4 door in not bad nick paint work has some patina but was resprayed in 2015.
Hope someone can advise.
Many thanks
Steve
Attachments
20200724_185632.jpg
20200724_185632.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1154 times
simmitc

Re: Mark on bonnet

Post by simmitc »

That looks to me like some filler cracking. If you look on the underside, is there a dent or other mark visible? I suspect that you're going to need to rub down, fill and paint again. If you find any rust, then be sure to treat it before covering it.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think you are going to have to investigate before it gets any worse.
As it's not a metallic colour you might be able to do a localised repair and blend the area in when you repaint it.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

There looks to be some other cracked/crazed paint at the bottom of the photo as well.

Phil
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

It looks like the result of poor preparation and lack of paint adhesion to me. The only real answer to that is to strip off all the paint, then prepare the panel thoroughly before using a good quality etch primer followed by subsequent undercoats/finishing coats of your choice. If you carry out a local repair it is likely to be only temporary as the same problem is likely to occur elsewhere on the same panel. Hopefully only the bonnet is affected?
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Hi All
Thanks for the replies so far.
There are more marks on the bonnet as well as someone pointed out.
There are also other marks similar on the passenger door and the area around the boot.
When I bought the car the boot lid was missing ,having some repairs done to it.Now I know what they were.😒
This follows the pattern for the rest of the car really. It looked good when I collected it but now 2 years down the line it’s needing stuff doing.But the good thing about it is that gradually over time I’m getting things done and doing a few things myself and the most important thing ,I’m enjoying the experience of driving a classic car and making it better than it was.

I think I will try and get someone to sort out the bonnet first and then next year look at a respray.
If I take it to a body shop how much am I looking at for a bare metal respray of just the bonnet, and a full respray.
I’m in East Yorkshire.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi
Do you use a car cover by any chance as they trap moisture between cover and paint work .That may be the cause of the problem,it will only get worse as time goes by .Only cure as people say is to strip off paint and respray

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

looks like crazing ,one cause is too many resprays the paint becomes too thick and contraction and expansion of the panel with the sun causes the under layers of paint to crack.If it is, only solution is extensive stripping back.Probably back to the original primer.Had several similar older vehicles into our family paint shop ,but that was in a former life,glad not involved in that anymore.good luck
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Hi All
Thanks again for replies. I don’t use a car cover.She has a garage but sometimes she sits outside in the open for several days at a time.
It wouldn’t surprise me if it was too much filler .
Never mind hopefully I can get the bonnet done and then maybe get the rest of the car done next year.
Regards
Steve