Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
catswhisker
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Parcel shelf renovation

Post by catswhisker »

Just getting round to replacing my sagging front parcel shelf, new one arriving, am planning to rivet it to the metal rail
but the rail covering is a bit scruffy, I would like to tidy it up but the 'kit' from NC is a bit pricey at over £40 for what
seems to be just a length of foam rubber and a strip of vinyl. any DIY ideas or experiences welcomed.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Parcel shelf renovation

Post by myoldjalopy »

I think you've almost answered your own question. Get some vinyl of the correct colour, something to pad it with, cut everything to size and glue it all together with some contact adhesive. Depending on the state of yours, you might even be able to just glue the new vinyl over what is already there. I remember doing exactly this once many, many years ago..........
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

Thanks, yes I think I might re-cover the old vinyl rather than try and remove it as the 'rubber' padding seems ok.
Plenty of stuff available but need to see it first, will try Dunelm .
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

COMMANDER
Minor Fan

Post by COMMANDER »

I used a length of foam pipe lagging and covered with matching vinyl. I had made a new parcel shelf from 1/8 hardboard, covered with the matching vinyl. Also made new scuttle panels from the 1/8 board and likewise covered.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

COMMANDER wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 am I used a length of foam pipe lagging and covered with matching vinyl. I had made a new parcel shelf from 1/8 hardboard, covered with the matching vinyl. Also made new scuttle panels from the 1/8 board and likewise covered.
I did exactly the same and it works a treat 👍
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

Job done! I went the traditional route, ESM/NC parcel shelf and re-covered the original rubber crash pad with black
fabric from Woolies which was excellent, fixed with Hobbycraft spray adhesive. Took the opportunity while the bar
bolts were out to spray anti-rust fluid into the A post area. Working alone I found it easier to fix the back of the tray
with 4ba hex. screws pushed through from engine compartment and held with tape while washers and nuts fitted
inside. Really pleased with the result, thanks to all for input.