Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Back door seal problems on 1968 traveller

Post by Time traveller »

Sorry to drag you back to the rear door seals on my 1968 traveller. I purchased the door seals from Charles ware and fitted them. I then could hardly shut the doors and it felt like I was going to break the timber joints. Is this a common problem or can anyone help me. Cheers Paul.
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Back door seal problems on 1968 traveller

Post by cococola »

When I replaced the wood set on my Traveller I had the same issue with this and I ended up buying some seal off a role from wollies trim supplies as I was worried about the long term effect with the wood joints. The seal was slightly thinner and cushioned nicely when closing the doors.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Cheers for that. I will look into doing the same as I am sure it is going to have an adverse effect on the joints. Regards Paul.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The alternative - and what I did on mine - is to shave a bit of wood off the inside of each door.
Confusingly, there seem to be 2 different threads at the moment regarding this same subject!
My own Travellers (of different ages) had the square profile rubber along the top where the doors shut and not a quadrant which will only work if the doors are fitted in exactly the right place.
Last edited by ManyMinors on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Napoleon Boot »

Hi Time Traveller,
I can't see your original thread, so don't know if there are photos there, but I have the quadrant seal fitted around the door aperture, and the only seal on the doors themselves is a flat strip going vertically down the left hand door. It does make a tight fit, and I have to be careful to close both doors together, but before I fitted them the doors leaked both rain and exhaust fumes. The quadrant is quite squishy as it's hollow and it's already starting to flatten where the doors fit.

Seb
1971 Adderley Park Traveller, "Peggy". 1098 engine, automatic transmission