Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
deleted_user2
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

New headlight fitting

Post by deleted_user2 »

Hello
I've replaced my headlights on my traveller. Not happy with how the circular rubber seal fits between the car body and headlight itself.
I am a new member maybe the answer is obvious to someone.
I'm thinking that I may need to apply more than the one seal of the same to make it fit flush, would I be correct?
Regards
Attachments
IMG_20200907_161856.jpg
IMG_20200907_161856.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2534 times
IMG_20200907_161903.jpg
IMG_20200907_161903.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2534 times
Last edited by Admin on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing name
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: New headlight fitting

Post by 53lake »

I've had similar trouble. The chrome bezel has to fit over the tabs in the rim of the headlamp bowl that screws into the wing. It looks like either your bezel isn't snapped into place over all the tabs, or the headlamp bowl isn't fastened to the wing correctly.
I found it quite difficult to get the bezel to seat properly. I found it necessary to back off the bowl-to-wing screws so the gasket gap opened up, then jiggle the bezel until it fitted properly. Unfortunately the screw heads aren't accessible with the headlamp fitted, so I had to screw them from inside the wing. Hope this helps.
deleted_user2
Minor Friendly

Post by deleted_user2 »

I'll take them out and start again bearing in mind what you have said.
Thankyou for you descriptive reply.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

A late, great, contributor to this forum would have had a lot to say about headlight peaks :lol:
Suffice to say, he wasn’t keen on them...
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You have the wrong rubber gasket fitted. The outside diameter is too small.
Also, the chrome rim is a reproduction item which quite possibly doesn't fit as well as an original one and fitting the accessory "peak" underneath it probably doesn't help much.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

SteveClem wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:19 pm A late, great, contributor to this forum would have had a lot to say about headlight peaks :lol:
Suffice to say, he wasn’t keen on them...
yes good ol BMC Ecosse.....me as well ...Pedestrian slicers...I still have the scars!"
Ask yourself how will you feel if you hit a child and disembowel them....... :o :o :wink: :wink:

I know thats :roll: a bit strong...maybe yours have proper rolled edges not sharp as a razor like the one that cut me..

Taupe
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

They look pretty flimsy so hopefully would fold up if hit but I feel the same as Roy did.

deleted_user2
Minor Friendly

Post by deleted_user2 »

All I've done is to ask as question about my headlight fitting.
Feel like iv been bombarded with neg comments on the PEAKS. !
At no stage (having recently bought my first awaited traveller ) I hadn't realised about the injury they could cause.

I will remove them.
Thankyou for the advice on correcting the fitting problem from 'manyminors'

I have now cancelled my membership, can't believe the snobbery and know all that goes on.
Good bye
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

A shame you feel you have to cancel your membership . Posts often bring about humour and camaraderie which I think ( dare I say ) you have misinterpreted . There is a wealth of expertise and advice on the forum which any owner of a Minor should welcome .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Keep your peaks, it’s your car, just because I and others don’t like the things shouldn’t worry you. A lot of threads go off subject and in doing so can be quite interesting. You shouldn’t be so sensitive about it, and as for a recent post of yours, now rightly removed, well that was downright rude. Its your loss leaving the club, you would have found it very useful. However like the peaks it’s your choice.

Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

It's unwise off course to leave the forum, but he IS right about the snobbery. The guy says he is new to the forum and you welcome him with what you call "camaraderie"?
Finished rescuing a 1967 2-door. Define finished....
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I've read this thread for the first time today, and then read it again end to end, and finally a third go. It is inappropriate to give my personal opinion rather than the official one, but suffice it to say that I have found no reason to offer so much as a modest rebuke to any poster let alone removing any posts. I see the board as a virtual version of a rally field, and I think if I was to say to the bloke alongside me 'oh I'm not a fan of those kidney cutter eyebrows' only to have someone rebuke me for having the temerity to say it, I'd probably go home and not come back.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I find that it can be useful to have a bit of a thick skin sometimes, but that's true of life in general.

The written word doesn't have the same inflection and nuance as what people hear, so there can be times when people 'take something in the manner it wasn't intended'.

Like Admin Mike, I see no problem with the level of comment that went on here and I fail to understand why OP has apparently cancelled their MMOC membership because of comments in the Forum, when the 2 are not mutually exclusive.
There's plenty of opinionated people around here that are not necessarily MMOC members.

Looking back at past posts, the OP said he was 53 yrs old, so perhaps he hasn't quite got used to mixing with Grumpy Old Men yet.... :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I too have read and re-read this post and can see no justification for any overreaction, like cancelling your membership, for what has been said in it.
At 53 I would have thought he would have developed a thicker skin by now........
C'est la vie.....
Best wishes,
Mike.

PS: Perhaps he's a modern 'snowflake'??....... :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Oi, I'm only two years older than that! I despair this year - we seem to be sleepwalking into an antiseptic and depressingly anodyne society where Aldous Huxley is in charge of dishing out sedatives to stop anyone having a wobble because someone said something they can't cope with. What happened to 'agreeing to disagree' is beyond me, I'm afraid! Still, it's my job to ensure peace reigns, so before someone commits another microaggression or whatever the modern vernacular is, I'll close this thread to new entries and very respectfully request that we all try to ensure that we keep anything that might be thought contentious to ourselves.

And before anyone (and I have someone specific in mind :D :D ) suggests that might be a tad hypocritical, what can I tell ya - I'm turning over a new leaf and at least making a token effort to keep the peace!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Probably a good idea.... but you haven't done it yet..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Is this today's challenge? See who can be the last to post before the thread is closed?

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Sigh.... you guys....
Okay, not forgotten this time - locked!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster