Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

protecting bare metal.

Post by parahandy 15 »

I have been stripping layers of old paint from various parts of the traveller, mainly to see what horrors are concealed beneath ,and am now down to clean bare metal,particularly in the engine bay area. I have neutralised the paint stripper as per manufacturers instructions.
Eventually this will be sprayed along with the rest of the car, but obviously I don't want rust to appear.
In the meantime I am using Bondaprime, which seems to spray on well, but Will this be OK with subsequent coats?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: protecting bare metal.

Post by ManyMinors »

Assuming you are referring to "Bondaprimer", manufactured by Bondaglass Voss Ltd, I have used it for exactly the purpose you describe for many years without any problems at all. It can be brushed very successfully or very slightly thinned prior to spraying with a gun and gives excellent rust prevention in my opinion. I haven't experienced any reactions with subsequent coats.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Yes, that is exactly the stuff. (I should have read the name on the tin before I asked)
I was recommended it for its rust prevention properties, but was unsure about over coating.
Incidentally, as many will have noticed, paint stripper ain't what it used to be. DIY stuff is useless,(nitromors etc) ,however there is a commercial product called Paramose which is like the old stripper before elf n' safety took over. Only obtainable via a professional user, but any friendly decorator should be able to get hold of some. I have no connection with the Co.

Thanks for the info.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Bondaprimer - good stuff, I used it, it has a good amount of solids in it which flatter well.
Don't see it so much as you used to though?

Alan
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You're right Alan. I used to be able to buy it locally ina car accessory shop but now you have to search on the internet and get it posted :wink: Easy enough though.