Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Flywheel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller wood. 3 large screws.

Post by Flywheel »

Hello all, please forgive my basic question with regard to Morris Traveller wood.
On the nearside and offside of the vehicle, there are three large screws on either side.
I assume these affix the wood section to the metal body.
As a new owner of my Traveller, I decided today to check the three screws on the offside for security.
This is going to sound daft, but can anyone tell me if there is a torque setting for these screws?
I did get a small amount of movement when tightening them. They are tight, but I thought it better to ask advice before going any further.
Any comments or advice welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_20201002_164136.jpg
IMG_20201002_164136.jpg (567.51 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
simmitc

Re: Traveller wood. 3 large screws.

Post by simmitc »

From what we can see, that looks like a very nice car :)

There are more of those screws each side, the top one or two (I think that it's two, but can't recall without going out to look) are hidden by the channel in to which the window sits when shut. There's no torque setting that I've ever seen, but "tight" is what you need. It would be a good idea to remove them one at a time, grease the threads, and then refit them; unless you know that grease was used during assembly. They do need nipping up now and then as the wood compresses over time.
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi thanks for your information and advice.
I'll try and post some more photos of the car. Perhaps the files I'm trying to download are too large.2.7Mb.

Thanks again.Jonnie.👍
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

0_image_01.png
0_image_01.png (589.14 KiB) Viewed 968 times
image_02.png
image_02.png (643.33 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Got there in the end. Cheers.👍 Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone
sindi21
MMOC Member: No

Post by sindi21 »

From what we can see, that looks like a very nice car :)

There are more of those screws each side, the top one or two (I think that it's two, but can't recall without going out to look) are hidden by the channel in to which the window sits when shut. There's no torque setting that I've ever seen, but "tight" is what you need. It would be a good idea to remove them one at a time, grease the threads, and then refit them; unless you know that grease was used during assembly. They do need nipping up now and then as the wood compresses over time.
not just nice
I think it’s in stunning condition!
I recommend that you also take a look at this site for some help with your home assignments
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Sindi21, many thanks.
I was very fortunate to purchase this car, and the maroon body and trim are all in good order.

If it has any faults, it's basically down to not being driven and used too much. One previous owner purchased the car kept it for two years and didn't use it at all. A shame I thought.

As for myself, I've always been interested in older vehicles, and my previous classic a ford upright popular I kept for 27 years.

I'm also very grateful to the knowledgeable people on this forum, for sharing their experiences and all the problems they've encountered. They have been very kind to a newbie like me, and this helps me get my head around morris motors. My thanks to everyone.👍

Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone