Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jeff-d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

door handles

Post by jeff-d »

I know that the external door handles on a 2 door and 4 door are different, i am not sure why but my question is can i change just the handle which is fixed with a round steel pin to the internal part from a 2 door car to a four door car i have is a 59minor with the lock below the handle
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: door handles

Post by ManyMinors »

As you say, the handles are quite different. I don't think there would be a single component of a 2door handle that would fit a 4door handle or vice-versa. It shouldn't be all that difficult to obtain the correct parts anyway should it?
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

thanks manyminors for your reply, it is very hard to find a drivers side door handle for a 4 door plenty of 2 door handles but handles for a 4 door are very scarce and they want a sky high price if you can find one
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I am afraid that is the penalty or down side of owning a classic car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Sw5AZfLkw2

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The one Phil has shown above is NOT a drivers side handle in any case but a passenger (LH side) one.
The drivers side (RH side) ones have more use and therefore wear and tear and are sought after by owners and restorers of vans and pick-ups. The high prices are simply a result of supply and demand I suppose.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Many minors
Thanks for pointing out that the handle is not suitable for a drivers door.
The link was more to show that even 4 door saloon passenger side door handles command a premium price and the drivers door will command even more.
The rarer the item the higher the price.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I have just been for a look in the shed, I do have a spare drivers door handle but the lock is part of the handle (my cars a 69). I assume they are different on the earlier cars.
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Jeff
You can find them if you are lucky. I actually got a complete set for £50 including postage off someone who was breaking a four door. The chrome on my original ones were very pitted and I understand that the cost of re-chroming is very high. However even on the “new set “ while three of the handles are in very good condition the drivers handle is pitted although not as bad as my old one. If you want I can try to find my old one and send you a picture of it to see if it is any good. But it really is in quite a state. Good luck in your search.
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi all, just to let you know that the lock is not below the door handle but is in the handle cheers jeff