Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fosterfamily
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Shopping List for Wing Restoration

Post by fosterfamily »

Our 1969 2-Door Minor is going in for some bodywork in a few weeks time.
Two front wings and one rear will be coming off for repair/replacement.
I'd like to give the bodyshop a box of sundries for when it goes back together.
I'm thinking of things like the coloured sealing strips and headlamp gasket rubbers.
The parts suppliers are listing items like "Set Screw" but how many nuts/bolts/screws etc will I need for each wing?
Is there anything else worth replacing at the same time?
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Shopping List for Wing Restoration

Post by mogbob »

Hello Foster Family
I've add a link to Moss' Catalogue for Morris Minors. The free paperback one is currently "out of stock " at the moment but you can download from the link on the page : -
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/parts-acc ... mmcat.html

At the start of the Body & Fittings page you'll find diagrams on the wings ( Page 72 in my paperback ) the adjoining page gives the part numbers and " most usefully " the number of parts you require for a given installation !.No doubt the garage might need a couple of " extras " ( nuts and bolts ) for the ones they
drop and can't find ??
Unless you're extremely lucky the garage will have to replace the chrome Surround , front panel ( R/H or L/H as required ) and fixings , I seem to remember when I did my mate's 1966 2 door.
It's known as the " hockey stick " because of it's shape. It's welded on / brazed , very slim fixings and nuts are notorious for breaking / shearing. Thin steel thread bar , plus very small nuts , add 54 years of rust ?? No amount of heat / PlusGas dismantling fluid is going to get it apart and be fit for reuse !! In your dreams. make sure the garage re assembles the parts with plenty of Coppa ease to try and stave off future rusting.
Check around the suppliers for prices to get the best deal , availability , delivery times , etc.
Fingers crossed for you that not too much rust is discovered on the body , once the wings come off. Remember that there are repair panels available ( ESM are very good with relevant photos of what you buy.) It is usually
cheaper to buy a repair panel and reduce it in size for your needs , than get a body shop fabricator to patch together lots of bits of steel. The guy's or girl's hourly pay rate will be greater than the cost of the panel. Even cheaper when you do your own welding ! I taught my mate how to weld as we worked our way through his total
restoration.
Good luck with it. Bob