Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Molly123
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Upgrade front seats

Post by Molly123 »

Much against my will, I’ve decided I need to replace the front seats in my Morris traveller. It goes against the grain, but I’m knocking on now and find getting in and out of Molly is getting more difficult. I’m looking for seating a little higher and more comfortable. No idea what to go for so hoping for advice from other members.
Thanks
Seth
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Upgrade front seats

Post by ManyMinors »

Do you really need to change them? The materials used in Minor 1000 seats do tend to compress and I found the comfort of my seats completely transformed after I took them apart and replaced the foams and supporting straps. Most aftermarket seats seem to give a lower driving position rather than a higher one. If you want to sit higher up, have you considered the earlier Series 11 Minor seats as fitted to the split windscreen cars? They are more robust and give a higher seating position which some owners prefer.
I have no experience of fitting seats from other makes of car except for the Newton Commercial offerings which I found very disappointing in terms of comfort and lower back support although I do appreciate that there is much to be said for having a head restraint.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Many thanks for your advice MM. Much appreciated.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I always prefer a higher driving position , and some conduit inserts do the job for me...

John ;-)
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

On my S11 I raised the rear by 1-1/2" and moved the whole seat back one hole pitch, by drilling extra holes and fitting a drilled and tapped plate underneath.
Also in the sponge base, I filled the pocket holes with extra car washing sponge, to make them firmer, my seats have the solid base.
It made my seats much better, in my opinion.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks Win.
That sounds like an idea. I would really like to keep the original seats if possible.
Regards
Seth
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Seth,
How old is your Traveller? I ask because the Series 2s (or the early ones at least) had a metal base pan to the seats (as opposed to the later straps) which, along with the foam used, is (I find) much more supportive than the later seats. One swap option and still Morris Minor based.
Another option would be to swap to Wolseley 1500 seats, which I beleive are also much better padded / supportive than the later Minor ones, without looking out of place or like a major Mod.
At the end of the day of course it's your car, however I get the impression you are reluctant.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... RBP&adurl=

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C860615

https://www.wolseleyregister.co.uk/part ... ey-1500-2/

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... BAQ&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your message. Molly is a1969 traveller. I am reluctant to change the seats as I’m keen to keep it as original as possible, but , as I said getting in and out is becoming more difficult. I’m exploring options and will look into the Wolseley seats as you suggested.
Kind regards
Seth