Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Chassis legs and crossmember

Post by Nourish »

Hi all, My shell is 'sans' of it's crossmember and chassis legs.
I have new ones to fit and I was thinking of welding the legs to the crossmember before fitting them to the shell to make it easier to align.
I have made up spacing tubes between the legs eye bolt holes and the clutch pedal pivots to set the distance between them.
I was going to tack in some angle iron to the sills to set the chassis floor height and reference the legs eye bolt holes to the front shock mounts for the lateral position.
I have spent forever straightening the warped floor due to my crap and impatient welding technique but think now that will just cut the floor out above the crossmember as it doesn't fit up snuggly. The crossmember ends are slit to create tabs, I presume these are fitted up to the sills and the tabs are welded to the sills and then the slits welded up after?.
Please - your thoughts on the above.
Cheers
Martin
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Chassis legs and crossmember

Post by kevin s »

Personally I would start by tacking the crossmember in place taking referance measurements from the rear spring hangers, then tack one chassis leg in check it is square to the crossmember then do the other using the spacers you have once they are all held in with a handfull of tacks, double check the dimensions particularly that they are level at the front and on the diagonals to make sure they are square before properly welding them in.

I might take you a fair bit of fiddling around, I eventually worked out our car was built with some of the original points way off, the key thing is the front axle locating points are square and parallel to the rear ones plus level in the horizontal plane, its more important they are the same than spot on to the factory dimensions.