Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Convertible - covering the rear rail?

Post by Pete Bags »

My convertible is a converted saloon, I understand the conversion was done around twenty years ago.

As I am having a new hood fitted, I have decided to re-cover the rather tired rear parcel tray and surrounding area with a suitably coloured material. After removing the old covering, I discover a channel (arrowed in the photo below) and wonder if I should fill this with a suitable 'filler' before fitting the new material. The previous material simply bridged this rail, but sagged and just looked wrong.

I note that original convertibles have a wooden batten where this channel is, and Newton Commercial do a replacement rear parcel shelf material kit which is screwed into this wood.

I was thinking of filling the channel with a foam (after sorting out the surface rust), which when hardened I can shape so the new material can wrap smoothly over.

Has anyone else been in a similar position, and what did you do?

The large holes in the rear shelf used to house speakers, fitted by a previous owner!

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Pete
IMG_9678.jpg
IMG_9678.jpg (264.94 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
cococola
Minor Fan

Re: Convertible - covering the rear rail?

Post by cococola »

Hi Pete,
My convertible is also a converted saloon and I made a rear shelf when I replaced the hood frame about 3 years ago.
The shelf was originally board,foam and then vinyl covered which I reproduced. The rear section that you have highlighted has the wooden piece fitted on mine as a filler section,as you described by Newton commercial.
It maybe worth contacting Charles Ware who carry out most of the conversions to see what they suggest too?
best regards
Alan
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that info, I'll look into it!

Pete
welshrat
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by welshrat »

On my original it's the wooden frame that the hood is attached to via screws. Guessing on yours its self tappers into the metal ridge at top rear?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-30 094352.png
Screenshot 2021-04-30 094352.png (59.22 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

welshrat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm On my original it's the wooden frame that the hood is attached to via screws. Guessing on yours its self tappers into the metal ridge at top rear?
That's correct. I wonder if all the converted saloons have the metal ridge as mine has, or if some converters replaced the ridge with wood?
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I bought a new wooden rear rail from Charles Ware, which fitted pretty well into the rail with only minor fettling needed. I bought some new material to match the rest of the interior and made a new rear shelf which I covered, along with the rear rail. The final trimming will be done when the hood is fitted. While waiting for the new hood to arrive, I've painted the white hood-frame black, as the new hood interior is black. I was surprised how rusty the hood frame had become!
wood.jpg
wood.jpg (367.25 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (421.34 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (455.41 KiB) Viewed 1346 times