Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

wood retreatment advice

Post by cococola »

Im due to retreat my woodwork on my traveller for the first time since replacement about 2 years ago and wonder if there are any tips before I attempt this please?
The woork kit was brand new and I used Cuprinol to varnish and finish originally so do I wire wool the whole lot and just re varnish or is there more to this please?
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
simmitc

Re: wood retreatment advice

Post by simmitc »

Put 10 Traveller owners in a room to discuss wood treatments and you will get at least a dozen different answers :o

It really depends on what state the finish and wood are in at present and what finish you wish to apply - will it be compatible with what is there already? If using the same products, then the best advice is probably to follow the recommendations from the manufacturer.
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by alexmcguffie »

The downside to wire wool is that it will leave small pieces of wire behind in the wood which will eventually rust. Try a light grade of Abranet which is fantastic non-clogging sand paper.

Regarding what to then put on it, try googling Osmo Oil. Its UV Proof, mould proof etc. More of a professional product. I've been using it on my house oak window frames for years and they're good as new still.
Glad to be back!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I used Osmo oil on my traveller with disappointing results. As part of the restoration I'm replacing most of the wood that the Osmo failed to protect :cry: I'll be using what Woodies recommend when the time comes.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Its interesting regarding the wire wool as I was going to use this to sand down so I wont now, I will buy some of the light grade abranet thank you.
I used cuprinol on my new wood a couple of years ago so I may stick with this.
Would it be a case of light sanding of the wood,mask up and then rebrush a new coat?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

That sounds about right but as suggested read the advise on the Cuprinol tin to be sure.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Will do thanks Panky :)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

After wire wool i always wipe down with a decorators tack cloth and it removes everything :)
ba04ger
Minor Friendly

Post by ba04ger »

hi regarding Osmo oil use the 420 UV product (available Satin and Matt)and their thinners no other thinners will work with this product. Osmo have a vast range of oils so double check its the 420 UV exterior,
thinning down the 1st coat follow instructions on drying times before building up coats.,also lightly abrade with 180grade paper along the wood grain and tack cloth between coats.
As a decorator I have been using this for many years on Oak and other hardwoods with good results,as with any paint or wood covering prep is the key to long lasting results. Please bear in mind that narrow faces and right angle edges will not have the same coverage as flat broad surfaces,this is where both the rain and Uv rays break down the coatings
Brewers Decorator centres stock a comprehensive range of Osmo and other wood oils
hope the above helps
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Yesterday I have lightly flatted down the wood on my Traveller using a fine sandpaper and I have refreshed the wood using 2 coats of Cuprinol. I must admit that when I first looked at the wood it didn't look as though it needed treating,however as it was 2 years since I had replaced the wood ,I decided to retreat it as a matter of course and I Am pleased with the refreshed shiney look of the wood.
Attachments
IMG_20210519_105058 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20210519_105058 - Copy.jpg (591.92 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
IMG_20210519_105125.jpg
IMG_20210519_105125.jpg (563.25 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
IMG_20210519_105105.jpg
IMG_20210519_105105.jpg (473.08 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Good job. I reckon you can never do it too frequently. Much better to keep ahead than have to try and "rescue" the wood once it has deteriorated :wink: