Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SriVik
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine mounting height

Post by SriVik »

Hi,

Recently i felt the vibration every time i start the car. I bought new engine mounting from ESM. True enough,old mounting was bad. The new ones are softer, no more vibration. But, now i realize my oil filter touching the tie plate, the exhaust pipe touching the body. Its so obvious. Anybody experienced this before??
I wonder where i went wrong..

Since there is not much option for suppliers, if i have to rely on ESM, i have to do something about the engine height. Either add some layer on the mounting or increase the tower height. Pls advice if anybody have done this before .

Thanks
Last edited by SriVik on Wed May 26, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine mounting height

Post by philthehill »

Did you fit a complete set of engine/gearbox mounts?
The sump (oil tank) should not get anywhere close to the tie plate.
Did you put the engine/gearbox mounts the right way round?
Did you put the engine mount towers the right way round?
A photo of the problem(s) would be helpful.

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

philthehill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm Did you fit a complete set of engine/gearbox mounts?
The sump (oil tank) should not get anywhere close to the tie plate.
Did you put the engine/gearbox mounts the right way round?
Did you put the engine mount towers the right way round?
A photo of the problem(s) would be helpful.
My apologies. Its oil filter not the tank. Bracket the left ( facing from front), is taller then the right. Mounting i think there is only one to go in. Yes, i did change engine and gearbox mounting. Sorry, i dont have a photo now. Engine is sitting on jack. Mounting is off the the car now,
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There are two engine mount towers, they should be the same height and they are handed i.e. right and left.
Both are - from the chassis leg to the highest point of the mount tower 14cm in height.
Have you fitted an aftermarket oil filter assy and using a longer oil filter?

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Oil filter is original. The two towers are actually different in size right? One taller one shorter.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The ex factory engine mount towers on my Minor and which date from 1958 are the same height. To confirm their heights I did measure them earlier this evening.

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Maybe the angle of the mounting is different. I saw the part number is different and suppliers selling as LEFT and RIGHT separately. I assume there must be some kind difference. I will try to swap right to left then see if i can swap the issue.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There is no difference in the angle of the mount.
The difference in the mount towers relates to the fore and aft off-set from the centre of the tower foot.
If you swop the towers over you can move the engine forward or backwards but not from side to side.
Unless you can post a photo of the problem we are grasping at straws.
Phil

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Sorry phil. Dont have much photo's of the issue. I will try swap the mounting tower and will see from there. Thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

SriVik wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm Bracket the left ( facing from front), is taller then the right. Mounting i think there is only one to go in. Yes, i did change engine and gearbox mounting. Sorry, i dont have a photo now. Engine is sitting on jack. Mounting is off the the car now,
You've been told the brackets are the same angle.
You've been told how high they are (Phil said 14cm from chassis leg, I measured mine floor to top as per the red line at 13.5cm, but close enough).
They are 'handed' because of the angle fore/aft they sit at.
Engine Mount.JPG
Engine Mount.JPG (27.84 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Why do you not accept that if you have a height difference, that is a problem to resolve first?

Did you buy just the mounting Rubbers, or did you buy the brackets as well (Towers as you called them)?
I don't know why you would have brought new brackets too, but if you did what height are they?
It might be that one of them is a wrong part and ESM didn't realise.

According to the parts manual, correct fitment is that the inner plate comes up to the forward edge and that is how mine are fitted.
Basil the 1955 series II

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Hi

I only bought the eng and gearbox mounting from ESM, not the tower. Then i realize its touching the body.
I guess i have to slacken all the mounting, steady bar and the steady cable (gearbox side) , and re-align.. may i know is there any right sequence to do that?? Share some tips. Thanks..
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

You said earlier the brackets (towers) were different heights, now you're not mentioning this.
Are the the same or not?

The steady cable should not have any tension on it. It is just there to stop the engine moving forward. So just the slack removed.
If that is tight it can give engine vibration in the bodyshell.

The Engine Tie Rod must have no tension or compression on it, it's just there to stop clutch judder if the engine is trying to twist on it's mountings.

There is no set sequence to setting all these things up because they should not interfere with each other. The Tie-Rod and Engine/Gearbox steady cable were both additional measures introduced to fix specific problems.
Basil the 1955 series II

SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Actually it was a question asking if its same height. Looking at Parts manual and moss parts list, it looks like one bigger and smaller, but cannot judge, it could be photo illusion.

Some claim swapping its position solves the issue. Some say doesn’t make any difference. I think i have to find myself.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you have not touched the towers and just replaced the rubber mounts and the clearances were ok on the the old rubber mounts ? The towers cant be the problem, can they? If thats the case, leave the towers alone.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

SriVik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:39 pm Actually it was a question asking if its same height. Looking at Parts manual and moss parts list, it looks like one bigger and smaller, but cannot judge, it could be photo illusion.

Some claim swapping its position solves the issue. Some say doesn’t make any difference. I think i have to find myself.
I'm guessing that English is not your first language:
SriVik wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm Bracket the left ( facing from front), is taller then the right.
This made people think you had 2 different height brackets fitted to your car.

Did you remove the Engine Tie-Rod and Gearbox Steady Cable when changing the rubber mountings?
I now think that it is very likely you have not got them fitted correctly, moving the engine from it's natural position.
Last edited by geoberni on Thu May 27, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Post now deleted i.vo. SriVik's response below.
Last edited by Myrtles Man on Fri May 28, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Im malaysian.

I have posted the same question in FB. Some advised me to try swap the towers, it may solve my problem it seems. I thought they differ in height. In this forum i learnt that its not the height, but its about the for and aft angle.

yes, i do agree with you. My engine is out of its position all this while, need to correct it. Thanks
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

Alright, managed to sort this issue recently after the long lockdown,

Well, engine / gearbox mounting and bracket all in order as per the diagram.

Ended up welded a 2mm plate under the engine mounting bracket. Now the exhaust pipe and the oil tank have some clearance from the body. Problemo solved :D :D