Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Childnurse
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Interior door lock catch

Post by Childnurse »

Hi,

My son is having real problems trying to obtain a right-hand interior door lock catch (part no. DLK109 in the ESM catalogue). This part has been out of stock seemingly forever at both ESM and Charles Ware. If anyone can tell me where we might be able to get one of these I would be very happy to buy it.

As ever, any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Interior door lock catch

Post by ManyMinors »

Is his car LH drive then?
The RH door on a UK car does not have such a catch fitted - which might explain why it is hard to obtain.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Years ago I obtained and fitted one to Abby, my old two door.
It does mean you can lock the door internally, for extra security, should you feel the need.
I looked at Moss Europe but it would be a back order with them also, I suspect, as always, supply is affected by demand or lack thereof......
You could try putting a 'Wanted' ad on here (see board index) and in the magazine.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:00 pm Is his car LH drive then?
The RH door on a UK car does not have such a catch fitted - which might explain why it is hard to obtain.
Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. His Traveller is definitely RH drive, and I've told him to stop looking! However, the door is drilled for the catch but I'm guessing they were automatically drilled out as part of the production process.

Interestingly, ESM, CW, and Bull Motif before them never advised that there was no catch on RHD cars. That would have saved a lot of grief!

Thank you for your help.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

However, the door is drilled for the catch but I'm guessing they were automatically drilled out as part of the production process.
In short, yes (that's what I found with Abby anyway). If he can find one it's an easy fit.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:54 pm
However, the door is drilled for the catch but I'm guessing they were automatically drilled out as part of the production process.
In short, yes (that's what I found with Abby anyway). If he can find one it's an easy fit.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Now that's all very interesting. Basil doesn't have a hole, or grommet, in the Drivers Door where an internal latch would go.

So the question is...., was the hole in the early doors, or the later doors?

Having looked at some cars on ebay, the very few where that part of the drivers door is shown, and compared Door Card pattern with having a hole/grommet or not, I think the hole may only be on post 1959 doors.
This is based on not seeing a hole on doors where the door card was smooth surfaced.

Can anyone confirm or refute this hypothesis by comparison of cars?
Because at least that would mean that Basil's are almost certainly his own and not a donation from the late 60s.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So the question is...., was the hole in the early doors, or the later doors?
Abby dated to 1963.
I don't believe there is provision on either of the two I have now (dating to 1954 and 1955).
Best wishes,
Mike.